What’s this carpet anemone doing?

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed this carpet krill and it spit out a mucous covered ball of the krill. I removed the ball of krill and it’s looked like this for the past week. It’s still moving about the tank and has maintained its sticky ness. What am I looking at? Will this go away?

OP
OP
A

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s this carpet doing? It’s still moving about the tank and has maintained its cohesiveness but the white center is what I’m not used to seeing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 82

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carpet is very stressed. The mouth should not be inverted like that. Don't try feeding it until it settles in more. The fact that it's regurgitating food back up is actually stressing it out even more. Is it inflating/deflating daily? (If so, no good, will need antibiotic treatment). How long has your tank been set up for? Looks like a haddoni, which likes its foot to be in sand. How deep is your sandbed?

OP
OP
A

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carpet is very stressed. The mouth should not be inverted like that. Don't try feeding it until it settles in more. The fact that it's regurgitating food back up is actually stressing it out even more. Is it inflating/deflating daily? (If so, no good, will need antibiotic treatment). How long has your tank been set up for? Looks like a haddoni, which likes its foot to be in sand. How deep is your sandbed?
Thanks for your reply. The nem isn’t inflating or deflating it’s just staying inflated, I’ve had this nem For at least 10yrs in the same tank with adequate sand bed. This all occurred when I fed him too much and then pulled the mucus ball away from him. The nem continues to move where he wants and has maintained his stickiness. He just looks weird with his mouth exposed like this. I tried feeding him some finely crushed mysis which I think some of it landed on his body but it sounds like you’re suggesting to not fed him at all. Thanks again for your insight.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I figured the anemone was new. If it's been there for 10 years, you know it better than anyone! :)

If it usually eats without a problem, yes, it's likely that you fed it too much. I personally don't directly feed any of my carpets only because I don't need mine growing bigger than they already are. However, if it's a happy/healthy carpet, feeding it is good. Only stressful to it if it's already stressed.

Jonny Walker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it prolapsed I’ve heard of this happening Not sure what the cure is I’ve read some people try to push it back in but I wouldn’t recommend stressing it further unless it dosnt go back on its own over time how are your water parameters?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been off of the sight for a time. Good news is the carpet anemone is back to normal. I didn’t feed it for some time and it fixed itself. Worrying was a waste of time! Im just happy my old boy is happy again.

Attachments

• 429567AC-CCEC-45DB-989D-12DA4D6D79F6.jpeg
    429567AC-CCEC-45DB-989D-12DA4D6D79F6.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 19

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back