what’s this thing and how do i get it out?

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
came on some gulf live rock i have quarantined in a bucket right now
IMG_5746.jpeg
IMG_5745.jpeg

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a type of glass anemone. Supposedly the ones that come in gulf rock aren't prolific spreaders like Pacific aptasias or majanos, so you could just leave it.

To get rid of it, you'll have to either...
  • cover it with super glue or coral putty
  • cover it with kalk paste
  • use a syringe to inject it with lemon juice
  • use a product like Aptasia-X

OP
OP
k log(omega)

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a type of glass anemone. Supposedly the ones that come in gulf rock aren't prolific spreaders like Pacific aptasias or majanos, so you could just leave it.

To get rid of it, you'll have to either...
  • cover it with super glue or coral putty
  • cover it with kalk paste
  • use a syringe to inject it with lemon juice
  • use a product like Aptasia-X
oh cool i thought it was the head of something way worse at first haha

maybe i’ll leave it and if it spreads or anything i’ll inject it with some kalk paste or aptasia x. thanks!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you took time to search out 50 aiptasia help threads, where the tanks are wrecked, 100% of them start exactly like this thread and 100% of the recommendations are what's offered here. when you find someone with an aiptasia issue in the searches, click on their avatar, select 'find all threads' and go trace back to where it started with just one or two

see what injections, pastes, animals added did for the masses (didn't work)

the outcome from doing what you have planned is already known (fragmentation, tank takeover, takes 30 seconds to search it out using key terms)

you however are on the rare end of the spectrum with only 1 aiptasia to deal with, and there's a better way that won't wreck your system. would you like to take opposite measures that won't cause you a total invasion by 2024 or hold course on what's searchable

you have tools in your house right now that can fix this, but amazingly the going reef psychology of the masses simply will not seize the moment and take that anemone out. they're trained by peers to take chances and wreck their tanks

but you have a chance to get off that wheel and I've been looking for new article material lately too

OP
OP
k log(omega)

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you took time to search out 50 aiptasia help threads, where the tanks are wrecked, 100% of them start exactly like this thread and 100% of the recommendations are what's offered here. when you find someone with an aiptasia issue in the searches, click on their avatar, select 'find all threads' and go trace back to where it started with just one or two

see what injections, pastes, animals added did for the masses (didn't work)

the outcome from doing what you have planned is already known (fragmentation, tank takeover, takes 30 seconds to search it out using key terms)

you however are on the rare end of the spectrum with only 1 aiptasia to deal with, and there's a better way that won't wreck your system. would you like to take opposite measures that won't cause you a total invasion by 2024 or hold course on what's searchable

you have tools in your house right now that can fix this, but amazingly the going reef psychology of the masses simply will not seize the moment and take that anemone out. they're trained by peers to take chances and wreck their tanks

but you have a chance to get off that wheel and I've been looking for new article material lately too
that’s a long way of recommending immediate removal i’ve dealt with aptasia in the past and while they’re annoying to get rid of i found them much easier than many other issues.

however, you got me a little scared. what would you recommend? quarantine the rock on its own and use aptasia x and watch it?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
came on some gulf live rock i have quarantined in a bucket right now
IMG_5746.jpeg
IMG_5745.jpeg
I would take the rock out and put it in the kitchen sink. Squirt some lemon juice on it every 30 seconds until it let's go of it's foot. Take some tank water in a glass and rinse it a few times to make sure no pieces are left on the rock. Put it back in QT and watch that spot to see if you got it all.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the rock out, set on the counter, and remove it just like it's a colon polyp using metal that digs up under it and removes the pedal tissue + a little of the rock it's attached to

A tiny golf divot will exist where that anemone once stood and you can leave it to fill in with coralline or plant a coral in the hole.

A tap hammer and a cleaned off flathead screwdriver will do it.

Do opposite of what Aiptasia wrecked tanks do, find them in searches

OP
OP
k log(omega)

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the rock out, set on the counter, and remove it just like it's a colon polyp using metal that digs up under it and removes the pedal tissue + a little of the rock it's attached to

A tiny golf divot will exist where that anemone once stood and you can leave it to fill in with coralline or plant a coral in the hole.

A tap hammer and a cleaned off flathead screwdriver will do it.

Do opposite of what Aiptasia wrecked tanks do, find them in searches
hard part about this is it’s pretty small and retracts when the rock is taken out of the water. i might just carve out the whole part of rock it’s on

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hard part about this is it’s pretty small and retracts when the rock is taken out of the water. i might just carve out the whole part of rock it’s on
But you do know where it is.
If you start carving, remember that you are really cutting it up. Any piece that gets left behind is another aptaisia that will grow.
Do your diligence and rinse well.
Make sure you get it all.

OP
OP
k log(omega)

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you do know where it is.
If you start carving, remember that you are really cutting it up. Any piece that gets left behind is another aptaisia that will grow.
Do your diligence and rinse well.
Make sure you get it all.
oh i was thinking i’d carve well around it to make sure the margins were clear. this is extra live rock i’m adding to increase biodiversity; i don’t mind losing a small chunk of it

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take that action that is opposite of all wrecked tanks send me a message so we can track it and proof out the effectiveness. I can use your pics and follow up to get a couple more actions then we'll do a writeup on it

Imagine taking the thorough route vs crossing fingers and hoping: you can do the surgical extraction then inject the remaining hole with anything you want

You could add five peppermint shrimps after the divot is in place... see how we can align what the masses do that works 10% of the time with a 99% effective action? That shows readers unique resolve and anyone who is only 1 anemone down has it so vastly easy compared to hundreds of these challenges on the site. Pretend someone is offering a reward of fifty thousand dollars to dig that slimy anemone out in one pass, you'll press hard enough to get up under it.

There's no rock stronger than a tap hammer and a cleaned off sharpened flathead. I could drive it down to the handle in any rock... chipping accurately but precisely with these tools is the right way nobody uses.

There's a reason pico reefs don't have this issue and large tanks do: accessibility and willingness to be thorough

Heck we usually just swap the rock out altogether he he/ still counts as thorough either way that's sliced

That's a great rock u have we don't want to throw it out, put it through surgery.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd position the screwdriver right next to it then tap it up under, dig it out, re scrape again, rinse off, set back

Be resolved and forceful and accurate, everything opposite of what wrecked tanks did. You are on square one they'd give anything to go back there and be opposite

OP
OP
k log(omega)

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd position the screwdriver right next to it then tap it up under, dig it out, re scrape again, rinse off, set back

Be resolved and forceful and accurate, everything opposite of what wrecked tanks did. You are on square one they'd give anything to go back there and be opposite
it’s a beautiful rock, i definitely don’t want to throw it out, but i think i’m gonna be even more diligent than you’re recommending. might just crack that whole side off the rock and be done with it.

i got these rocks to add to biodiversity towards the end of a brutal war with dinoflagellates, which is probably a discussion for a different thread however i have seen you post in several bigger dino threads encouraging a rip clean. i’ve been doing something similar and will probably have some good insights on my experiences with that once that story is over, if you’re ever interested.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'might just crack that whole side off the rock and be done with it'

That is 100% thorough I agree
This is why I say reef tank invasions are psychological first, and a matter of chemistry and biology a distant tenth place. Resolve is what's lacking in the masses + willingness to stop repeating that which causes more anemones. Lopping off a section of rock is how i cut out my aiptasia, one aiptasia, in about 2009 and haven't seen one since. Mine grew on a small jutting section of the live rock. During a tank drain I put in my dirty old wire cutters and bit the whole section off and lifted it out and put it in the trash. I made a self promise this reef vase wasn't going to die from any invasion as long as I'm breathing, that promise is currently underway.

A nerf ball or a bad micro drone landing during house races sure might kill it, but I'll be danged if a biological organism from inside the tank does. I'll blast anything uninvited to the moon or the sewer, not playing for sure :)

And that's the only known formula for being uninvaded in reefing.

I've also been bothered by a couple strains of algae but I never bothered identifying them, that's hesitation. I rip sawed them out of my tank, now they're not there. That's opposite of every invasion thread I've ever seen so far

OP
OP
k log(omega)

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'might just crack that whole side off the rock and be done with it'

That is 100% thorough I agree
This is why I say reef tank invasions are psychological first, and a matter of chemistry and biology a distant tenth place. Resolve is what's lacking in the masses + willingness to stop repeating that which causes more anemones. Lopping off a section of rock is how i cut out my aiptasia, one aiptasia, in about 2009 and haven't seen one since. Mine grew on a small jutting section of the live rock. During a tank drain I put in my dirty old wire cutters and bit the whole section off and lifted it out and put it in the trash. I made a self promise this reef vase wasn't going to die from any invasion as long as I'm breathing, that promise is currently underway.

A nerf ball or a bad micro drone landing during house races sure might kill it, but I'll be danged if a biological organism from inside the tank does. I'll blast anything uninvited to the moon or the sewer, not playing for sure :)

And that's the only known formula for being uninvaded in reefing.

I've also been bothered by a couple strains of algae but I never bothered identifying them, that's hesitation. I rip sawed them out of my tank, now they're not there. That's opposite of every invasion thread I've ever seen so far
we gotta outsmart these types of things and i think the way we do that sometimes (most of the time) is with our oldest technology: hammer + chisel

i snapped about a cubic inch of the area off the rock. rock back in qt bucket, and rubble in a little cup of sw to make sure that anemone comes out and is in fact in the rubble. rubble will then go straight to the trash

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look like a ball anemone to me. I think you did the right thing. Just be vigilant because there's probably gonna be some more. I've used kalk paste with success when you can reach them

OP
OP
k log(omega)

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look like a ball anemone to me. I think you did the right thing. Just be vigilant because there's probably gonna be some more. I've used kalk paste with success when you can reach them
any difference between using kalk paste or aiptasia x? i’ve used the latter in a tank years ago with good success

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back