Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been my exierience with them also.
I have two left that have survived for over a year but I would not say they are thriving. I'm not sure how many I've killed. They're inexpensive (or were) and have so many variations I tried several through the years.
But that’s the case with all my sps. I just don’t get it. I’m sending out an Aqua biomics test and ICP test soon, even an ICP of my RODI.

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that’s the case with all my sps. I just don’t get it. I’m sending out an Aqua biomics test and ICP test soon, even an ICP of my RODI.
Remember, it may not be what is not there, but what IS there. Could be bacteria which is causing infection. More food for thought. Think you're doing the right thing though. Maybe more frequent water changes too.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, every tank is different and not all tanks can grow all coral. I grow all kinds of monti encrusting, plating but can't keep a digi alive. Acro , hammers, and everything in-between. But no Digi. Just my 2 cent's

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every bit of info I get is all over the place. Some say leptoseris will grow in shade. That’s certainly not medium light.

Is there any indication in those pics that my lepto might need more light?
I’ve kept them in higher light and flow- mine grew like crazy. You mentioned moving it, but that the park was just fine where it is. Your po4 is a bit high too, but it sounds like your instincts are telling you to move it.

All things equal I’ve had coral just seem to like a different spot better for no apparent reason.

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my frustration. I can’t keep any leptos, or sps for that matter. To hear that leptos are adaptable is especially discouraging because of what I’ve witnessed trying to keep them.

I moved the frag under an overhang where it will get less light and less flow.

I hope it works out…today it looks worse than yesterday
Here’s something I’ve learned over my many years in this hobby, and this is probably not the answer you want to hear, but- I’ve started to move toward keeping what I find enjoys my tank and rolling with it. If I struggle to keep something I tend to gravitate towards different variations of other corals I’m having success with.

I honestly have learned that we fall into a habit of generalizing these animals care requirements as we all strive for that beautiful mixed reef. Simply put if you get everything perfect for a handful of corals, you’re invariably going to annoy something else.

This is of course greatly simplifying the whole chemistry space, but it’s really worked for me as an approach.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back