What’s up with this leptoseris

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to get some insight on what’s going on with my leptoseris.

Please feel free to speculate. I don’t want to throw up a bunch of tank facts (just yet) and possibly sway someone’s opinion on what might be going on.

This is with a blue filter but at the end of the photoperiod so it’s the best I can do for now

IMG_4568.jpeg

IMG_4567.jpeg

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean the purplish variations in the tissue? I’ve had ones do this. I’d venture to guess it’s changes in tone of the zooxanthella. The short answer is it’s just fine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’d like to get some insight on what’s going on with my leptoseris.

Please feel free to speculate. I don’t want to throw up a bunch of tank facts (just yet) and possibly sway someone’s opinion on what might be going on.

This is with a blue filter but at the end of the photoperiod so it’s the best I can do for now

IMG_4568.jpeg

IMG_4567.jpeg
Check your alk, calcium, salinity and assure medium lighting, not too low.

Alk 8-10
calcium 400-450
salinity 1.025-1.026
Temp 77-79

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean the purplish variations in the tissue? I’ve had ones do this. I’d venture to guess it’s changes in tone of the zooxanthella. The short answer is it’s just fine.
Yeah that and the white spots. They’re harder to actually make out what’s going on in the pic

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your alk, calcium, salinity and assure medium lighting, not too low.

Alk 8-10
calcium 400-450
salinity 1.025-1.026
Temp 77-79
All parameters are within those ranges…for the most part. Ca this past weekend was 465

What would be medium light? It’s in sub 150 par where it is

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the ridges beginning to lose color and the mouths gaping? Hard to tell from the pictures. As @vetteguy53081 stated, test your water, but include nutrient levels too. They don’t need a ton of light either though they can adapt to 250+ over time.
Yes that is happening. I’ve seen the mouthes gaping mostly when feeding but have seen some gaping also when not feeding

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is happening. I’ve seen the mouthes gaping mostly when feeding but have seen some gaping also when not feeding
here are last weekend’s test results

NO3: 9.5 Hanna
PO4: .13, Hanna…previously .09 but the leptoseris looked this way prior
pH: 8.1-8.3 Hanna
Alk: 8.9 Salifert
SG: 1.026 Hanna
Ca: 465
Mg: 1395
PAR: about 130

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 PAR is ok for them IME. Only time I see them like this is high nutrients combined with high PAR. They very resilient and can bounce back if water quality increases. Maybe shade it a little and put some carbon in there or remove it if you’re using alreday.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 PAR is ok for them IME. Only time I see them like this is high nutrients combined with high PAR. They very resilient and can bounce back if water quality increases. Maybe shade it a little and put some carbon in there or remove it if you’re using alreday.
Resilient? I’ve killed like 5 of em.

I’ve noticed a slow down of a tiny bit of tissue recession along the edges so I hope that’s a good sign

I’m considering moving the coral to a lower light spot as I have done with previous leptos but by all accounts, the PAR is just fine where it’s at

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
All parameters are within those ranges…for the most part. Ca this past weekend was 465

What would be medium light? It’s in sub 150 par where it is
Mine at 275

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every bit of info I get is all over the place. Some say leptoseris will grow in shade. That’s certainly not medium light.

Is there any indication in those pics that my lepto might need more light?

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s because leptos are very adaptable. Literally have some in QT tank that’s turned into an algae farm that hasn’t had any attention in 3 months under 200 PAR.

I’d move it so flow and light are different. See what happens. They are very middle of the road corals, but they can sometimes be fickle about carbon and GFO. Takes about 2-3 weeks to see any real difference after changes.

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s because leptos are very adaptable. Literally have some in QT tank that’s turned into an algae farm that hasn’t had any attention in 3 months under 200 PAR.

I’d move it so flow and light are different. See what happens. They are very middle of the road corals, but they can sometimes be fickle about carbon and GFO. Takes about 2-3 weeks to see any real difference after changes.
This is my frustration. I can’t keep any leptos, or sps for that matter. To hear that leptos are adaptable is especially discouraging because of what I’ve witnessed trying to keep them.

I moved the frag under an overhang where it will get less light and less flow.

I hope it works out…today it looks worse than yesterday

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a look at your build threat. Nice! Nothing lacking in that department. Some corals just don’t like what they don’t like sometimes. I couldn’t keep blastos for a long time then one day I tried again after a year and they did ok. The only things I can think is it’s either biological or chemical. So an ICP test and maybe start looking into supplements for bacteria and a carbon source. @Perry and @coral reeftank have really opened my eyes as has @Coral Euphoria. I’ve gone in 100% on my current build and I couldn’t be happier or impressed. Still very early, but so far this tank has been far more manageable and stable than others in the past. The “ugly” stage was all of 3 days. Knock on wood!

OP
OP
Reefer911

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a look at your build threat. Nice! Nothing lacking in that department. Some corals just don’t like what they don’t like sometimes. I couldn’t keep blastos for a long time then one day I tried again after a year and they did ok. The only things I can think is it’s either biological or chemical. So an ICP test and maybe start looking into supplements for bacteria and a carbon source. @Perry and @coral reeftank have really opened my eyes as has @Coral Euphoria. I’ve gone in 100% on my current build and I couldn’t be happier or impressed. Still very early, but so far this tank has been far more manageable and stable than others in the past. The “ugly” stage was all of 3 days. Knock on wood!
Thanks, I appreciate it! I love this CADE aquarium!

I can’t keep ANY sps, even with my previous tank. It has to be something g in the water.

I’m actually about to order an Aqua Biomics test.

I dose MB7 and MBclean regularly, and did one round of PNS pro bio last weekend

I need to do an ICP test as well

ArachnoJoozt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth:
I bought a Jack o Lantern lepto frag looking a bit rough, put it in a spot that gets 90 par and it's flourishing right now. It's also getting pretty strong flow, but no turbulent flow.
(Nitrates 8, phosphates 0.18, alk 7.4)
The store owner from the store I bought it, who is quite knowledgeable said this coral is quite temperamental, doing well and growing to suddenly kicking the bucket.

20230401_085003.jpg

20230919_125417.jpg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resilient? I’ve killed like 5 of em
Been my exierience with them also.
I have two left that have survived for over a year but I would not say they are thriving. I'm not sure how many I've killed. They're inexpensive (or were) and have so many variations I tried several through the years.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back