Red Dragon frag tissue loss, help!

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was given this frag last Saturday. It was freshly cut and I super glued it right away. I’m not big into SPS so I’m not sure what’s going on with it, or why it’s happening. I don’t think it’s param related but can share those in a bit if needed. The Nero behind it is running but slowly on pulse, I thought it would like that but maybe not.

Is this a thing that just happens to some fresh frags? Is this RTN? Should I quickly attempt to frag bits that aren’t impacted? I’m thinking I probably should. If so anything I should do to promote their healing?

IMG_5103.jpeg IMG_5104.jpeg IMG_5105.jpeg IMG_5106.jpeg

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ime these thin branch sps are really prone to rtn and swings, frag it as soon as possible, do at least a frag with a 1/2 inch clearance from the recession, if you can do that most of the frag will make it ime.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
parameters.

Calc: 420
Nitrate 5 (dosing to maintain)
Salinity: 35ppt
Phos: .01ppm
Alk: 12.5 to 13.2, stable: this is due to using reef crystals (can’t believe its intended to mix this high but it is!) Have lower alk salt on the way and plan to gradually take it down.
Temp 78

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ime these thin branch sps are really prone to rtn and swings, frag it as soon as possible, do at least a frag with a 1/2 inch clearance from the recession, if you can do that most of the frag will make it ime.
Should I glue the new frag right away?

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Did what I could. Couldn’t quite get a half inch on the smaller pieces. Just in a bowel on the bottom for now. Do you think I should remount where it was right away to avoid changes in light/flow or leave them unattached on the bottom for a few days?

Shame, thing even had growth tips from the last few days already. Thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_5108.jpeg
    IMG_5108.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5109.jpeg
    IMG_5109.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5110.jpeg
    IMG_5110.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5111.jpeg
    IMG_5111.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5112.jpeg
    IMG_5112.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5113.jpeg
    IMG_5113.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red dragon is super sensitive, when it starts to go, it just goes overnight. Any drastic change of parameters, especially alk or ph, will cause it to turn white overnight.
I don't think I had any major swings, but maybe enough to just trigger it... IDK, it was just cut Saturday so that probably didn't help. My tank is an LPS set up, so it probably won't work out, but was worth a try. The LFS gave it to me for free because they broke it off accidentally and told me it was super sensitive but have it and try!

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red dragon is super sensitive, when it starts to go, it just goes overnight. Any drastic change of parameters, especially alk or ph, will cause it to turn white overnight.
also, since you are familiar with it, should I remount the frags ASAP or leave them in the bowl on the bottom? Even though the odds sound bad I want to give it the best shot I can. Thanks so much.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That particular coral has always been weird in my systems and I’ve found it harder to keep than high end tenius for some odd reason! I got a few large frags from a system take down a few months back and 2 of the 3 rtn right away! The third one right next to them was fine and is growing nicely now.

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Red Dragon is not hard to keep. It is actually very hardy...... BUT it often peels when introduced in a new system. I suspect above all it is the change of flow, but it is very common to go shortly after being introduced.

Also, it doesn't like to be dipped.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That particular coral has always been weird in my systems and I’ve found it harder to keep than high end tenius for some odd reason! I got a few large frags from a system take down a few months back and 2 of the 3 rtn right away! The third one right next to them was fine and is growing nicely now.
Well it's really my only SPS besides a slimer and a couple of birds nests... so I'm prob SOL, ha... Tips on wha

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's really my only SPS besides a slimer and a couple of birds nests... so I'm prob SOL, ha... Tips on wha
You never know… if one of your frags settle down and acclimate to your tank it will take off fast.. red dragon is fast grower once its situated, it’s just getting it happy to the new tank that’s the challenge.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Dragon is not hard to keep. It is actually very hardy...... BUT it often peels when introduced in a new system. I suspect above all it is the change of flow, but it is very common to go shortly after being introduced.

Also, it doesn't like to be dipped.
Good to know, so my big question RN is related to that... Should I leave them heel in the low flow bowel on the bottom or should I re-superglue it where it's been for the past 6 days ASAP? Also when I glue, it's very tiny, especially now, do I need to be very careful to try to not let the glue touch the flesh at all (going to be tough if so!)

Edit: also, fyi, fortunately I never dipped it.

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could cut the peeling base and load the new base with glue. I'll be honest 8 out 10 times when it starts like that it will fully peel in 48 hours.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could cut the peeling base and load the new base with glue. I'll be honest 8 out 10 times when it starts like that it will fully peel in 48 hours.

Good Luck.
Already cut. I’ll load it with glue tonight and see what it does and update (but I know your right)!

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Did what I could. Couldn’t quite get a half inch on the smaller pieces. Just in a bowel on the bottom for now. Do you think I should remount where it was right away to avoid changes in light/flow or leave them unattached on the bottom for a few days?

Shame, thing even had growth tips from the last few days already. Thanks so much for your help!
Thats something i always debated about too lol, but ime something rtn will "jump" to nearby frags, I try to keep one piece in the same spot and scatter the rest to make sure some piece survive. Also these guys grows crazy fast. Mine will double in size once a year or so and i had it recover from like a 2mm piece so no piece is too small.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think red dragon is very sensitive to trace elements in particular, never been able to keep one alive until I started dosing traces. Did you dip it in anything other than Bayer by any chance? If so, that probably did it.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats something i always debated about too lol, but ime something rtn will "jump" to nearby frags, I try to keep one piece in the same spot and scatter the rest to make sure some piece survive. Also these guys grows crazy fast. Mine will double in size once a year or so and i had it recover from like a 2mm piece so no piece is too small.

I think red dragon is very sensitive to trace elements in particular, never been able to keep one alive until I started dosing traces. Did you dip it in anything other than Bayer by any chance? If so, that probably did it.
No dipping, but I have a hypothesis that the flow at the base may have been too high. New to sticks, thought it would want the highest flow area in my lowish flow LPS tank, but the wave maker was flowing directly over the freshly cut base and may have essentially degloved it, and maybe RD is especially sensitive to this (and apparently other things). Was thinking this especially because of the three frags I made from the original the piece the one I put in the same spot had already started degloving again within two hours of remounting it while the other two are still holding up 14 hours in. Still probably will but interesting nonetheless and we will see!

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dipping, but I have a hypothesis that the flow at the base may have been too high. New to sticks, thought it would want the highest flow area in my lowish flow LPS tank, but the wave maker was flowing directly over the freshly cut base and may have essentially degloved it, and maybe RD is especially sensitive to this (and apparently other things). Was thinking this especially because of the three frags I made from the original the piece the one I put in the same spot had already started degloving again within two hours of remounting it while the other two are still holding up 14 hours in. Still probably will but interesting nonetheless and we will see!
I will disagree with the flow, mine is almost directly in front of an MP60 and gets quite the amount of flow.

Maybe it’s a lighting issue - have LEDs? If the original tank had different settings on light, that could also do it.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
parameters.

Calc: 420
Nitrate 5 (dosing to maintain)
Salinity: 35ppt
Phos: .01ppm
Alk: 12.5 to 13.2, stable: this is due to using reef crystals (can’t believe its intended to mix this high but it is!) Have lower alk salt on the way and plan to gradually take it down.
Temp 78
Dont feel bad mine went in couple days, it had amazing growth just started going and done in two days. I had a frag of it that I had taken weeks prior that also went a few days later. I took many frags from my main colony when it started but none made it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back