OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately lost him today - other head started peeling from the skeleton - had to toss him :(

Attributing to either too much light or a fish picking at him - blasto right next to him doing fine. So weird

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately lost him today - other head started peeling from the skeleton - had to toss him :(

Attributing to either too much light or a fish picking at him - blasto right next to him doing fine. So weird
Sorry for your loss but when you took him out of the tankdid you inspect it for bugs , holes , anything abnormal before you tossed him ??

WyoMt.Chef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that. A fish could very well be the culprit. I had a clown eat a torch like it was a 75$ fishy ice cream cone. Hope it was a fluke and your on to smooth sailing from here.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that. A fish could very well be the culprit. I had a clown eat a torch like it was a 75$ fishy ice cream cone. Hope it was a fluke and your on to smooth sailing from here.
Thanks! I have about 14 other corals doing well so thats a positive. I’m hearing these blastos can be tricky, plus they don’t seem to grow like the others. Might try moving to acans instead as they seem similar enough and maybe a bit more hardy.

This one hit a little harder as he was one of my originals - 2nd photo from a year ago when I was first putting him in :( The green blasto right beside him doing as good as ever

ED8A2BE6-DA14-4423-8942-29BB2B8BA05C.jpeg

24C3526C-15E6-4F7E-88A1-0A0E80FA1F5F.jpeg

Last edited:

WyoMt.Chef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're tank looks to be going along nicely. Funny you have the same highlighter torch my clown ate... Lol. Im currently figuring out an alk dose as my tank is only consuming large amounts of alk. The hammer I have was doing great until the alk swings, hoping he holds on until I get it stable. Best wishes my reefing compadre!!

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're tank looks to be going along nicely. Funny you have the same highlighter torch my clown ate... Lol. Im currently figuring out an alk dose as my tank is only consuming large amounts of alk. The hammer I have was doing great until the alk swings, hoping he holds on until I get it stable. Best wishes my reefing compadre!!
Haha that is funny - those dang clowns can really cause mischief. I started my tank with a hammer garden and had to pivot to a torch garden for that right corner. I’ve lost a couple hammers now but never a torch (knock on wood).

so far hammers are kind of hit or miss for me - I think it might be wall vs branching but not certain. Blastos turning out the same - could never really get them to thrive. Tried one flowerpot and it failed miserably.

It’s funny what thrives in one tank often doesnt in another - seems every tank you kind of have to embrace what works and avoid what doesn’t. That has kinda become my philosophy after a year in this hobby. I am also hyper-vigilant about getting anything out before it can brown jelly on me given I have so many LPS - there’s a chance I couldve nursed a couple back but I can’t risk it in a 20gal and no quarantine tank.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back