What’s your preferred method of dosing Nitrates?

Justin_Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon nano that only has one fish in it, so I don’t feed too much in the system. As a result my nitrates are at 0, which I know isn’t great for corals. I’m trying to get them around 4-5 and I wanted to know from those of you who dose nitrates what you preferred to use. I was thinking of just using phyto feast concentrate. I have a lot of corals in the tank so I want to make sure they all get plenty of food. Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think direct supplemental feeding of corals is the best way since you have only one fish in a small tank. The corals will love it.

Remember they have tiny mouths and be careful to not over do it. They will also make waste and the nitrates could quickly get high. Watch the corals behavior and reaction to feeding, some don’t respond well to overfreding, so watch them carefully and learn what each needs.

Chris Villalobos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add coral foods to raise your NO3 watch out for cyano or dino blooms. If your corals look healthy you can always add a solution containing NaNO3. That's what I use. You can get a lifetime supply Sodium Nitrate online and search reef2reef on how to make the proper diluted solution.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your test kit? API isn't sufficiently sensitive and will give false zero readings. IMO, feeding corals does not lead to cyano or dinos blooms, little to no NO3 with PO4 around tends to do that. Also, taking PO4 down to zero also favor nuisance stuff over corals

how are your corals doing? If fine, make sure your tests are accurate before testing. PS my corals love LRS as do my fish. They also love reef roids.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back