What a Drop "OFF" Dead Gorgeous View! Would you set up a dropoff aquarium?

Would you ever consider setting up a "dropoff" reef aquarium?

• I already have a dropoff tank. Yay me!

Votes: 19 4.2%
  • Yes I would like to set one up in the future.

Votes: 230 51.2%
  • No (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 174 38.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 26 5.8%

• Total voters

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop off in progress. Should be wet September of this year.

39A23569-69F4-4542-B0C3-B2CE03472D1F.jpeg

DE7975F7-35D3-4B4C-B0EB-709FCD09C958.jpeg
Nice!

I thought from the first photo it might be a hot tub installation. Very robust gallonage!

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have one, but wouldn't buy one. You can make your own by making a shelf inside a regular tank. But your stealing a lot of real estate by doing it.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said other.
I have to remodel the kitchen this year, and install a new floor, and maybe replace the windows as our "new" home is getting older like me.

I don't have a space for a new tank but if I did I would use the footprint to install a standard (single) depth aquarium. If there was a place in the house that really fit the drop-off then it would be a no brainer. They are cool to look at!

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like them. There is something about the 90 that becomes a focal point and is distracting. I'd put the cost and effort into going deeper front to back on a rectangular tank.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While these are beautiful setups, 2 things need to be kept in mind:

1) Does your home have right layout for this to work? Probably better for an open floor layout than a traditional room by room home layout
2) Going to be more difficult to sell these aquariums if you every decide to change/upgrade or leave the hobby

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the way they look good, but to me it is just wasted real estate that could've been more opening swimming room for fish. I also think it is just a fad that will fade, kinda like the wave front tanks were years ago (I'm assuming they're no longer popular since I rarely see them mentioned)

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the way they look good, but to me it is just wasted real estate that could've been more opening swimming room for fish. I also think it is just a fad that will fade, kinda like the wave front tanks were years ago (I'm assuming they're no longer popular since I rarely see them mentioned)

The wave front tanks! Horrendous!

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to make a drop off with a flat tank making a plateau/reef out of Lr then a dip in the middle with calipers then a rock wall with macros then a drop past the reef with nps

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this idea. But
1) I have acrylic and want glass. I am not sure you can make a reliable glass dropoff.

2) I have no idea how thick of acrylic is required or how to calculate it. I wouldn't trust a manufacture unless they have experience, and these aren't popular enough for ANY manufacture to have enough experience.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Would you ever consider setting up a dropoff tank of your own? Why or why not? I would not. Whereas it is novel, the effect is not real and we are attempting to create a natural reef scene. If you want a drop-off reef, it can be achieved by thoughtful rock arrangement. Just personal preference.
+1
Don’t like them at all... for the amount of floor space they take up, you’re better off with a full size tank!

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no, I just don’t like the look of them. Ive seen very nice looking displays but it’s just not my thing.

Arringar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might consider a nano drop-off tank, but large drop-off tanks look too "artificial" to me.

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Would you ever consider setting up a dropoff tank of your own? Why or why not?
I don't think so, it seems difficult and expensive to get a drop-off tank designed, ordered, shipped, and installed. I think it would be incredibly cool to view but seems like way too much work.

2. If someone wanted to buy a drop off tank which one would you suggest?
I don't think I should be providing suggestions.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back