What a great idea! Or, was it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I’ve been doing a lot of fish-related events, and have had the pleasure of interacting with quite a few experienced hobbyists. During our discussions, we often reflect on where the hobby has been, where it’s going, and the people, products, and trends that have helped define- or sometimes-detract from- the hobby landscape. I thought it would be fun to reflect upon a few of the more polarizing ones in recent years, so here are several of my personal favorites:

“Wet Skimming”- I LOVED this one! Basically, you took your highly efficient and expensive protein skimmer and “tuned” it so that all it did was remove some yellowish water from the system. This “technique” was though to help assist in nutrient export by creating continuous “water changing”. Really? I always laughed at this, because if you ask me, it would have been a lot easier to just pick up a siphon hose and remove a few gallons of water regularly the way hobbyists did it for decades. It’s amazing what some people will do in the laziness to avoid water changes! I mean, why spend $500-$800 or more on a skimmer when a length of flexible tubing costs a few cents, right?

4852_1.jpg

Cheaper than a skimmer, for sure!

This one ties in nicely with the paranoid hyper-husbandry of our next great trend from the past:

“Rock cooking”- A great example of “viral stupidity” perpetuated by means of the Internet. Some incompetent hobbyist’s tank “crashed” into a mass of scunge and algae, so he went on line blaming live rock and sand for his woes. It had to be the rock and sand, because he was allegedly really experienced! ALL aquariums with live rock and sand were viewed as “time bombs” waiting for the great apocalypse. It launched a vitriolic hatred towards use of live rock and sand in reef systems, and suddenly you were advised to remove all of the sand from your tank, and to take your live rock and scrub it with a stiff brush and “swish it” in water until it rinsed “clean”. Then, in an ultimate act of stupidity, you were supposed to “cook” your rock by placing it in a darkened container of saltwater for months, essentially killing all photosynthetic life (both good and bad) on the rock. This supposedly helped to “eliminate detritus and phosphates”, and then you’d place this barren rock back into your display aquarium (without sand, of course), to start the process all over again. Loyalists to this “technique” proffered detailed “instructions” for neophytes on a certain hobby message boards, and offered a lot of criticism towards those who wouldn’t embrace this stupidly perverted form of “hyper husbandry”. I’m not sure what was worse- the concept or the attitude! Of course, if these guys would have simply learned how to manage an aquarium in the first place...

DSC01987.jpg

I'd rather start with Marco Rock...

Feeding Lettuce to herbivorous fishes- Well, at least the intention of this one was good. Since macroalgae and other prepared foods for herbivores were sadly lacking back in the day, Romaine lettuce was offered up as a substitute. While terrestrial greens were never considered outstanding nutrition for marine fishes, this was one of the easiest substitutes at hand, so we used it. I mean, the stuff was green, right? It wasn’t until we started keeping macroalgae, such as Caulerpa, in our systems in the mid eighties, and experimenting with other marine algae products, such as Nori sheets, that our beloved herbivorous Tangs and Rabbitfishes really began to thrive in captivity. Nowadays, we can purchase the ultimate Tang feed, propagated Gracilaria macroalgae, from online sources such as Indo-Pacific Sea Farms, ORA, and others. It’s a great time to be a Tang!

2012-08-02 05.17.19.jpg

"I'd rather eat macro algae."

Cycling aquariums with Damselfishes-This idea is sooo last century! By keeping hapless Damsels in a newly set up aquarium, their waste products helped to feed the beneficial bacteria that we require in our systems. In theory, it works, but why would you subject a fish to the discomfort and negative health affects caused by ammonia and nitrite toxicity in a brand new aquarium? There have always been better ways to help “kick start” the nitrogen cycle in our closed systems. Yet, this practice still continues today, with thousands of Damselfishes each year needlessly subjected to the rigors of “cycling”. It also serves to perpetuate the belief that these beautiful, interesting fishes are expendable aquatic “popcorn” as one author referred to them. With a wide array of bacteria products and alternatives, today’s hobbyists don’t have to resort to this primitive technique any longer.

IMG_5896.jpg

He's much happier as a resident in your reef than he is as a "cycling mechanism."

So that’s a look at just a few of the interesting ideas that have been embraced by the hobby over the years and have since been discarded. I suppose the proponents of these techniques and practices really believed that these techniques were the way to go, so I can’t simply bash them without acknowledging this (well, actually- I can, because this is MY blog!). Yet seriously, it’s amazing how various hobby practices arise and then fall- or evolve- over the years. If we learn from our mistakes, then we truly have evolved. As one of my relatives so eloquently put it, “Nothing is ever wasted. Something can always serve as an example of what NOT to do!”

That about sums it up.

As always, I'd love to hear of your reflections on ideas that seemed to have come and gone in the hobby...Anything particular stick in your mind?

Till next time,

Stay wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best one I've read of yours yet, all of the things you wrote about make me shake my head every time I hear or read about somebody doing them.

Another one I see popping up lately, that may have some science behind it but still makes me shake my head is the people dumping bottles of ammonia in their tank so they can cycle it in three days and have it fully stocked in a week after setup. Goes hand in hand with one of your other articles about growin micro fauna. In my opinion their is no better than to do then let the tank balance itself out over a period of at least two months before adding any livestock other than pods and the sorts.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HERE'S ANOTHER ONE: increase your in-tank flow and you will get rid of or lessen your cyanobacteria. Cut me a break. I have seen it grow in my own system on rock 8" from the direct output of a Vortech MP60. This 465 gallon SPS tank has about 58,000 GPH peak internal flow from six MP60s. Increasing flow has little, if any effect in reducing or eliminating cyanobacteria from a reef tank, IME. All you do when you increase flow is blow it somewhere else, not eliminate it.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have two Blue Devil Damsels I used to cycle a tank with about ten years ago. Before I get hate mail - I'm not as barbaric now.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HERE'S ANOTHER ONE: increase your in-tank flow and you will get rid of or lessen your cyanobacteria. Cut me a break. I have seen it grow in my own system on rock 8" from the direct output of a Vortech MP60. This 465 gallon SPS tank has about 58,000 GPH peak internal flow from six MP60s. Increasing flow has little, if any effect in reducing or eliminating cyanobacteria from a reef tank, IME. All you do when you increase flow is blow it somewhere else, not eliminate it.
The idea is to keep the organic detritus in suspension with the improved water movement so that they can be more effectively filtered out. This reduces the nutrients available to the cyano. You're not trying to actually blow the cyano away ;)

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the places we could go with this one, Those bright blue and orange Bioballs, under gravel filters, bubble walls, bleaching the tank decorations, all the "wonder" bulbs that were supposed to keep the fish brighter and happier. Reverse flow undergravel filters, or how about starboard material for the bottom of your tank? Better yet, O nitrate O phosphate. I could go for days on the topic of failed ideaology. Thnaks ofr the trip back down memory Lane Scott

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is fw, but some people believed (and others still do) that freshwater aquaria don't need water changes at all.

If it's VERY well planted and/or has developed a healthy population of denitrifiers (unusual in FW...) this could be true, but we're talking gravel and plastic here.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the use of terrestrial greens, if the practice is really no bueno then why do we see so many public aquariums feeding their herbivores with broccoli, mustard, collard, and other dark leaft greens? They do so because they're inexpensive and they work. All of the hobbyist products in this realm are ridiculously over priced especially the live stuff that you have to have shipped to you. You could buy a lot of Nori from the Japanese market for a fraction of the price of that stuff too.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is to keep the organic detritus in suspension with the improved water movement so that they can be more effectively filtered out. This reduces the nutrients available to the cyano. You're not trying to actually blow the cyano away ;)
I never said you were trying to blow the cyano away. Cyano can grow anywhere since it has the ability to absorb nutrients directly from the water column. Hi flow tanks can get it just as much as any other.

My reef is about as ULN as they come, and about as high flow as they come with close to 60,000 GPH internal flow, and cyano was just as at home home in that environment with no suspended organics as anywhere else.

IMG_0085_zps8618d83c.jpg

IMG_0095_zpsab37bb41.jpg

IMG_0096_zps27b6d720.jpg

Last edited:

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be your first post I disagree with

You say:
"Then, in an ultimate act of stupidity, you were supposed to “cook†your rock by placing it in a darkened container of saltwater for months, essentially killing all photosynthetic life (both good and bad) on the rock. "

I think that curing live rock that is infested with aptasia, majanos, bubble algae or other very undesirable critters may be the best solution.

If your talking hair algae or other husbandry issues that lead to the degradation of the rock then yes it is not a cure all, but I have seen some rock being sold as live rock that the only solution would be to kill it all off and start over.

Many years ago I bought this piece of rock from an LFS that was awesome shaped - just what I was looking for to build my reef. But due to lack of care at the store it had bubble algae, and aptasia all over it. There was no way I would add this rock to my tank. So I killed it, recurred it in the dark, puttied and added a couple other rocks to it and it became the foundation of my current tank. Free and clean of nasties....

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a kick out of cyano being caused by improper spectrum or any sunlight (even the slightest indirect sunlight). My tank gets PLENTY of sunlight and there's not one spec of cyano. For around 3 hours a day the sun hits the window just right and my tank is hit directly with sunlight. It only covers about 1/3 of the left side at the most. I have never believed that cyano was caused by light, and now I'm sure after seeing this day after day.
eje6a9yv.jpg

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott my man, you just cannot resist stirrin' the pot..... lovin' it my brother. So nice to have finally met you at our 'Bob Moore' event last weekend.
Mine and most likely expected response of course is myths and or untruths in lighting, in particular LED's. Facts are Facts and Photons are Photons. The correct amounts in the correct spectrum is all that matters and the source is completely irrelevant.

The majority of even the most common Coral we now keep was not only once thought to be beyond our capabilities to keep alive but was also written as fact by some very respected Aquarists of the time. That time was not very long ago really....for some of us at least. The late 70's and into the 80's there were so many controversial and new practices being conceived then introduced as 'The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Toast' it seemed, if you believed them you'd need to throw away everything and start 'This New Direction' every six months.

Of course this was long before the BIG World Wide Web got us all connected 24/7 to anything and everything and why I am so confused as to why we have taken such an amazingly incredible technology and *******ized it to carry such a high load of regurgitated drivel and myths. It is a shame that it is so hard to discern the good/correct information from the rest. Sites like R2R do a very good job in the info trade but still take whole teams to keep on course.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best one I've read of yours yet, all of the things you wrote about make me shake my head every time I hear or read about somebody doing them.

Another one I see popping up lately, that may have some science behind it but still makes me shake my head is the people dumping bottles of ammonia in their tank so they can cycle it in three days and have it fully stocked in a week after setup. Goes hand in hand with one of your other articles about growin micro fauna. In my opinion their is no better than to do then let the tank balance itself out over a period of at least two months before adding any livestock other than pods and the sorts.

Thanks for the kind words...Yeah, the ammonia thing seems a bit odd...LOL...I mean, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all the places we could go with this one, Those bright blue and orange Bioballs, under gravel filters, bubble walls, bleaching the tank decorations, all the "wonder" bulbs that were supposed to keep the fish brighter and happier. Reverse flow undergravel filters, or how about starboard material for the bottom of your tank? Better yet, O nitrate O phosphate. I could go for days on the topic of failed ideaology. Thnaks ofr the trip back down memory Lane Scott

Loving your thoughts...I remember my Reverse Flow UG Filters when I was a kid! State of the art back in the day!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be your first post I disagree with

You say:
"Then, in an ultimate act of stupidity, you were supposed to “cook” your rock by placing it in a darkened container of saltwater for months, essentially killing all photosynthetic life (both good and bad) on the rock. "

I think that curing live rock that is infested with aptasia, majanos, bubble algae or other very undesirable critters may be the best solution.

If your talking hair algae or other husbandry issues that lead to the degradation of the rock then yes it is not a cure all, but I have seen some rock being sold as live rock that the only solution would be to kill it all off and start over.

Many years ago I bought this piece of rock from an LFS that was awesome shaped - just what I was looking for to build my reef. But due to lack of care at the store it had bubble algae, and aptasia all over it. There was no way I would add this rock to my tank. So I killed it, recurred it in the dark, puttied and added a couple other rocks to it and it became the foundation of my current tank. Free and clean of nasties....

OMG..you disagree..You're banned. LOL

Seriously, you have good points. The real issue I took with the practice was basically to wipe out everything on the rocks...Then to place the essentially bleached rock back in the aquarium, to continue on along the same path until the same bad habits led to the same problems..IMHO, the methodology was flawed because it didn't attack the primary issue, which was why the reef got to where it did...

And the attitude of the proponents on forums was just plain nasty...That's what really put the nail in the coffin on this one!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott my man, you just cannot resist stirrin' the pot..... lovin' it my brother. So nice to have finally met you at our 'Bob Moore' event last weekend.
Mine and most likely expected response of course is myths and or untruths in lighting, in particular LED's. Facts are Facts and Photons are Photons. The correct amounts in the correct spectrum is all that matters and the source is completely irrelevant.

The majority of even the most common Coral we now keep was not only once thought to be beyond our capabilities to keep alive but was also written as fact by some very respected Aquarists of the time. That time was not very long ago really....for some of us at least. The late 70's and into the 80's there were so many controversial and new practices being conceived then introduced as 'The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Toast' it seemed, if you believed them you'd need to throw away everything and start 'This New Direction' every six months.

Of course this was long before the BIG World Wide Web got us all connected 24/7 to anything and everything and why I am so confused as to why we have taken such an amazingly incredible technology and *******ized it to carry such a high load of regurgitated drivel and myths. It is a shame that it is so hard to discern the good/correct information from the rest. Sites like R2R do a very good job in the info trade but still take whole teams to keep on course.

Cheers, Todd

Hey Todd,

Was lots of fun swapping stories and memories..You have an amazing "resume" of reef keeping experience, and I greatly enjoyed your viewpoints and insights! I think you're right...it's a bit tougher to perpetuate stupidity than it used to be...Too many truly intelligent, skilled hobbyists in the game now!

Look forward to seeing you again, my friend!

Scott

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words...Yeah, the ammonia thing seems a bit odd...LOL...I mean, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

The fact is that ammonia doesn't speed the cycle at all. It's just food for nitrifying bacteria. Gives them something to grow on, but if your rockwork isn't cured yet it provides its own ammonia for the process - making an addition of ammonia unnecessary. It is a workable alternative for fish-in cycling - the FW world is finally catching on to this - but it's really no faster.

What DOES speed cycling is the addition of "pregrown" nitrifying bacteria. If you have the right stuff (I personally swear by Dr. Tim's One and Only), you can establish the nitrifying part of the cycle in a shockingly short amount of time. It's also perfect for seeding dry rock...in which case adding ammonia to feed it is perfectly reasonable.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the use of terrestrial greens, if the practice is really no bueno then why do we see so many public aquariums feeding their herbivores with broccoli, mustard, collard, and other dark leaft greens? They do so because they're inexpensive and they work. All of the hobbyist products in this realm are ridiculously over priced especially the live stuff that you have to have shipped to you. You could buy a lot of Nori from the Japanese market for a fraction of the price of that stuff too.

You need to hit your local Asian food store you can get nori in bulk for cheap. And it doesn't go bad if kept in a sealed package unlike buying lettuce and other human consumption greens

And the nori is a much better choice

backpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro algae just grows in the sump. Free food after the initial purchase. Why are you saying lettuce and greens are cheaper?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back