What anenome is this?

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, we were just given 2 of these anemones and I know they are a bubble tip but was curious as to what kind? They seem to have green near the center of them and they’re quite beautiful

IMG_0174.jpeg IMG_0172.jpeg 71478974452__24980E7D-3CFF-4F31-A96B-E4AB89C31A76.jpeg 71477344770__00F0F67D-C88B-4821-82AA-3ABAE9268095.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, we were just given 2 of these anemones and I know they are a bubble tip but was curious as to what kind? They seem to have green near the center of them and they’re quite beautiful

IMG_0174.jpeg IMG_0172.jpeg 71478974452__24980E7D-3CFF-4F31-A96B-E4AB89C31A76.jpeg 71477344770__00F0F67D-C88B-4821-82AA-3ABAE9268095.jpeg
Looks like long tentacle anemone AKA . . . . LTA anemone

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first glance it doesn’t look like a bta, but it could be a bta that isn’t ‘bubbling’. The coloration does suggest bta.

I don’t think it’s a lta (macrodactyla doreensis) either as the foot doesn’t have the prominent verracue and typical orange/red color.

The tentacles actually look like a condy to me, but the foot doesn’t look like I’d expect for that either and it would be a very unusual coloration. If it is red and green it is most likely a rainbow bta.

Can you get pics under white lights that show the oral disc including the mouth, close-up of the tentacles showing any patterns if present, the underside of the oral disc to check for verracue and the foot?

A bta should have white striations (lines) around the mouth and no visible verracue (spots under the oral disc). It also usually has tentacles that bubble or appear more bulbous on the ends (hence the name), but sometimes they don’t ‘bubble’. An lta will have very obvious and evenly spaced/organized verracue and the foot is usually orange/red. A condylactis usually has an orange/red foot and there is a pattern on the tentacles if you look closely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mihkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first glance it doesn’t look like a bta, but it could be a bta that isn’t ‘bubbling’. The coloration does suggest bta.

I don’t think it’s a lta (macrodactyla doreensis) either as the foot doesn’t have the prominent verracue and typical orange/red color.

The tentacles actually look like a condy to me, but the foot doesn’t look like I’d expect for that either and it would be a very unusual coloration. If it is red and green it is most likely a rainbow bta.

Can you get pics under white lights that show the oral disc including the mouth, close-up of the tentacles showing any patterns if present, the underside of the oral disc to check for verracue and the foot?

A bta should have white striations (lines) around the mouth and no visible verracue (spots under the oral disc). It also usually has tentacles that bubble or appear more bulbous on the ends (hence the name), but sometimes they don’t ‘bubble’. An lta will have very obvious and evenly spaced/organized verracue and the foot is usually orange/red. A condylactis usually has an orange/red foot and there is a pattern on the tentacles if you look closely.
Yes he seems to be more red, purple, and green with white lines around his mouth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back