What are my options to remove hard water stains in active tank?

Stahre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I’m not 100% sure this is the right subforum to ask, but I figured it might fit in here.

So, I have what I believe to be hard water stains at the top rim of my aquarium. It is essentially stains after the water line.

I bought a second hand tank, and did not remove these stains before starting my tank. Big mistake I know.

So here comes my question, do I have any chance of removing them while my tank is active?

I’m thinking if it is something that could remove these stains without affecting the chemistry or the live stock in the tank.

I was thinking if draining the tank 50% , that would give me access to the stains, but anything used to remove it would most likely make it into the tank.

BR

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vinegar will get rid of water stains. Like you said, I would drain the tank about half way, then find a way to cover under your hands while you scrub away with a scrubby pad and vinegar. Don't need much, just a few drops on the scrubby pad.

Maybe have someone help you out by holding a towel under your hand while you scrub, something like that.

OP
OP
Stahre

Stahre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vinegar will get rid of water stains. Like you said, I would drain the tank about half way, then find a way to cover under your hands while you scrub away with a scrubby pad and vinegar. Don't need much, just a few drops on the scrubby pad.

Maybe have someone help you out by holding a towel under your hand while you scrub, something like that.
Yes, that is an option. Could also do smaller portions at a time, to limit the chance of messing up :)

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? Drain a bit of water, put some vinegar on it and let it sit for a bit. Then scrape it off with a razor blade. Do a water change (30% - 40%) and I honestly think the “left over damage” won’t be noticeable.

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Parchment paper. “Kingofdiy” had a video of it on youtube. Havent tried it myself but worth a shot

OP
OP
Stahre

Stahre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? Drain a bit of water, put some vinegar on it and let it sit for a bit. Then scrape it off with a razor blade. Do a water change (30% - 40%) and I honestly think the “left over damage” won’t be noticeable.
250L (65 ish Gallons)

I was thinking of this as well.. maybe soak towels in vinager and stick it to the glass.. let it sit for 15 mins or so.

also do a WC afterwards..

How bad is vinager to a reef tank? i read that some dose vinager even...

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250L (65 ish Gallons)

I was thinking of this as well.. maybe soak towels in vinager and stick it to the glass.. let it sit for 15 mins or so.

also do a WC afterwards..

How bad is vinager to a reef tank? i read that some dose vinager even...
Correct, people dose it and do all sorts of stuff with it. Just do as described and I seriously doubt you'll suffer that much in a 250l tank. Doing a 30% water change on top of that will definitely reduce any possible damages it could've done.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 150 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back