What are some effects you have experienced with dosing live phytoplankton?

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my order of a mixed culture of live phytoplankton. I want to know what effects people have observed after dosing it for a while?

I especially want to hear about copepods, algae in the tank (increase/decrease?), any filter feeders come up that haven’t really before dosing, and what effects did it have on nutrients?

Stating what types of phytoplankton you have dosed will also help a lot.
I have to say that if I'd known what a positive impact it would have had, would have been more consistent with it in the past. I made the commitment to culture pods and phyto - especially the phyto since feeding my mixed reef with various foods created GHA for me - and probably an increase in cyano. Since feeding phyto (mainly nano and tet) my corals have really shown their appreciation and my nutrient issues are in control. I would wax and wane with my copepod population in my tank but they are really doing well with the daily or sometimes every other day dosing. In fac, I've seen some pretty good sized creatures on the rocks that amaze me, so they must be happy. I do want to mention that my LFS recommended a little different lighting recipe which I think also has helped the corals, but I am sold on the phyto.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as we're talking about dosing phyto, is there any ideal time of the day or night to dose it?

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a helpful answer! Seems like the smartest way to get pods is to just culture them instead of adding phyto to a large tank!
On that note, I have noticed feeding large numbers of copepod nauplii can lead to explosive aiptasia growth, if you have them. I've seen a similar effect from feeding large amounts of baby brine shrimp. They can get big when there's alot of food, yet somehow stay well hidden. I touched a 2in diameter aiptasia accidentally and thought I had been electrocuted.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a daily awc with phyto, 1/2 gal for 125 g total sys volume. I have myself convinced it has enhqbced the euphyllia and acro growth. Was spread out 4 times per day, just switched to every 2 hrs.

I dose tetra, nano, iso more or less of each. I put the completed batches with saltwater in a 10 gallon container that runs lights 6 hrs to keep phyto alive. From there, Dosing pump at 17ml/minute pumps into tank, a 2nd pumps out at same speed. Every 2 hours for 10 minutes.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a daily awc with phyto, 1/2 gal for 125 g total sys volume. I have myself convinced it has enhqbced the euphyllia and acro growth. Was spread out 4 times per day, just switched to every 2 hrs.

I dose tetra, nano, iso more or less of each. I put the completed batches with saltwater in a 10 gallon container that runs lights 6 hrs to keep phyto alive. From there, Dosing pump at 17ml/minute pumps into tank, a 2nd pumps out at same speed. Every 2 hours for 10 minutes.
That's a good way to do it, have been thinking about trying something like this. I was slightly concerned the doser might hurt the cells. Have you perchance checked your phyto at doser outlet w/microscope?

I think phyto should be fine since they're so small. Copepods are maybe a different story..

*edit*: Actually I'm a scatterbrain, I already know phyto is fine in a doser. I use dosers on some of my copepod cultures and check these periodically. The phyto is very much alive.

As long as we're talking about dosing phyto, is there any ideal time of the day or night to dose it?
I'm not sure really, but a doser seems like a good way to me.

Last edited:

cleaner_shrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior to adding pods and dosing phyto i was cleaning my glass weekly. Then I noticed I was having to clean the glass every 1-2 days. It has been going on for a couple of months. I thought perhaps coincidence. Anyone experiencing something similar?
No not just you. And tbh it’s not just crud on the glass. The coralline also explodingon the glass. Also the pods are also exploding on the glass .

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose an 8 species blend I buy from a fellow reefer on here.

I dose up to 2ml/G daily. I have 2 fat mandarins, and I wash pods out of my filter socks every couple days when I change them.

I have also notice an explosion of micro brittle stars.

I keep 2 adult mandarins that only eat pods well fed in an 80G cube. I also have several pod eating wrasses.

I always had a cyano issue on my sandbed, once I got up to the 2ml/G, they disappeared, and have stayed gone.

Tank in general is just much healthier.

Only downside, I have to clean my glass every other day, instead of every couple.
So you dose 160ml daily? I would love to add a mandarin but did not think it was possible due to my wrasses. Very interested in your success rate.

cleaner_shrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you dose 160ml daily? I would love to add a mandarin but did not think it was possible due to my wrasses. Very interested in your success rate.
Wrasses would definitely out compete the mandarin for pods. But, how big is your tank and how many wrasses?

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses would definitely out compete the mandarin for pods. But, how big is your tank and how many wrasses?
I have like 5 but only 2 would be considered pod eaters like my 6 line. It's a 65g DT with 15g sump. I do run a fuge with lots of pods though.

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I received my order of a mixed culture of live phytoplankton. I want to know what effects people have observed after dosing it for a while?

I especially want to hear about copepods, algae in the tank (increase/decrease?), any filter feeders come up that haven’t really before dosing, and what effects did it have on nutrients?

Stating what types of phytoplankton you have dosed will also help a lot.

Our customers report (and we've noticed in our own tank) better polyp extension and coloration. Of course, pods eat detritus aplenty, but they grow faster and to higher densities when fed live phyto..

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back