What are some general tips for when you leave your reef to go away for a trip?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are some extra steps you take when leaving your tank for a trip? Here are a few things I do:
  1. Avoid any major additions or changes in equipment or livestock immediately before the trip.
  2. Do a significant water change (20% or more) a couple of days before leaving.
  3. Fill up ATO and maybe even add some extra RODI to the DT above the normal level if I'm going to be gone for more than a week.
  4. Check any dosing elements to be sure they're topped off.
  5. I don't set up any feeding unless I'm going to be gone for longer than 10 days. If gone more than 10 days, I have someone come feed the tank every 3 days or so.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I avoid having someone take care of the tank. I have a good friend who is a reef guy, he will come fill up my ATO if we are gone longer than a week. I make sure the normal house sitter doesn't touch anything though, too many things to mess up for someone with no experience.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have cameras strategically placed as well as the ability to turn items off and on from my phone.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a amazon camera that shows the sump level, skimmer level, temperature indicator. Besides that I feel its good practice to let your tank have no human interference for 4- 7 days at a time. That way your tank wont experience any major issues in that time frame when your gone. I even stopped feeding frozens daily because of this and rely on pellets on a auto feeder. I used to feed a lot of frozen food daily but for this reason alone I had to cut it back and now feed 1-2 times per week. I've noticed the tank does better when I stopped messing with it as long as Alk is stable, nutrients are present, and trace are available.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. Avoid any major additions or changes in equipment or livestock immediately before the trip.
  2. Do a significant water change (20% or more) a couple of days before leaving.
  3. Fill up ATO and maybe even add some extra RODI to the DT above the normal level if I'm going to be gone for more than a week.
  4. Check any dosing elements to be sure they're topped off.
I agree with all of these. :D

Mine to add:
1. 'Mock' going on holiday beforehand if possible. If you are leaving for ten days, preferably a month before set everything up as if you are on holiday, and see if it runs fine within those ten days. That way, there is more peace of mind when one does go on a holiday, knowing the tank managed before.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back