Going to use Fritz Algae Clean Out, looking for tips

cbeitel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made the difficult decision to use an algaecide. Tanks been up for 2 1/2 years and the last year plus has been a battle with GHA or one of its many variants. It has reached a point where the maintenance required to keep it under control just isn't feasible any more.

Here is my request for feedback. Please reply if you have experience with this product Fritz Algae Clean Out. I have a mixed reef 60g AIO. Main critters I am concerned about are 3 RBTA and a small Crocea Clam. Thinking about moving the small clam to another tank. I have been down the road of zero nutrients, clean up crew, heavy water changes, time, Emerald crabs, and GHA manual removal. Been in the hobby for 20 years and prefer the natural way and patience, but I have ran out of both and willing to take the risk here. Its either Algaecide or tear down the tank and I don't want to tear it down. Thank you for your help here.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will the band aid solution do to prevent GHA from returning after the treatment?

Typically algecides will kill off GHA maybe after a few treatments but they bottom everything out and open the door for dinos an even worse situation?

What does your cleaner crew consist of?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this will cause a never ending cycle of hair algae/dinos/cyano/hair algae

reason why: you're adding something vs removing something.

You haven't tried rip cleaning the tank, and reducing your light levels for sure. if you kill off this mass, and add it to the mass in the crevices of the tank that are fueling the current invasion, a cycle continues.

here's how to get off the cycle, with actual work examples included:

the way you use Fritz clean out is during growback, after the rip clean, it can't cause dinos that way. it will cause them the way you're planning/avoid the rip clean/leave in the waste + invasion to rot in place

you'd apply it in the clean condition, not the invaded condition.

most won't make this effort, and that's why there isn't a 7 example fritz algae clean thread being posted. there's a seven example rip clean thread though above.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main critters I am concerned about are 3 RBTA and a small Crocea Clam. Thinking about moving the small clam to another tank.
This chemical is the same as that in algaefix etc. While many have used it in reefs with no apparent harm to livestock, this chemical is a known molluscicide and has been used to control invasive mussel populations. So it's a for sure no-go with the clam.

Of the chemical killing options available, if you did not have a clam in the tank, it might be as good a choice as any other algaecide.

GAC binds it out of the water, so remove GAC while using and replace it before you put the clam back.

Be aware that the GHA that is killed or stressed by this treatment will be a great driver of cyano growth, as many hobbyists have observed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back