What are some good personality filled fish?

OP
OP
noxel56

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas Blennies can be characters sometimes.
20180619_124208 (2).jpg

DSC_7858.JPG
I really like the Midas blenny! I’ve heard they can bully smaller gobies, is that true? Definitely something I work be interested in though!

OP
OP
noxel56

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gramma...wonderful coloration and great community fish. Doesn’t get too big either. For small size and for the most bang for your buck, personality wise it’s the clown fish. Though pugnacious they can be.
Would it play well with a firefish? I might be able to get a hold of a captive bred Helifrechi Firefish so I would rather have that guy tbh.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Midas blenny! I’ve heard they can bully smaller gobies, is that true? Definitely something I work be interested in though!
I have Wheelers gobies in my tank & for awhile they actually stayed in the lower unit of his barnacle house. He's never bothered them.
DSC_7883 (2).JPG

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it play well with a firefish? I might be able to get a hold of a captive bred Helifrechi Firefish so I would rather have that guy tbh.
Grammas probably won't bother the firefish, they seem pretty peaceful.
Also, WHAAAAAT?? That is very lucky my dude! Helfich's are some of the prettiest dartfish out there!

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M
Hello I am 14 years old and in the process of setting up my 40b reef tank. I want some fish for my reef tank but I can’t decide which ones. I was looking for some fish with lots of personality! Preferably fish that are reef safe and generally peaceful. I really want a sandsifting goby but since my tank is only 40 gallons and doesn’t have a refugium, I stress it would not have enough food to eat. Thank you for reading.
i have 3 gobies that all eat frozen. I have a pink spotted goby in my 32 gallon that has grown from a little guy to a big fat 6 inch long guy. He sifts sand but I think gets most of his nourishment from eating the frozen food.

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got done hand feeding my blue spot watchman goby. I will always have one in my systems paired with a pistol shrimp. The watchman goby can be a little, well, slow. I've got wrasses, a clown and a tang that go berserk for food and usually my ol' pal Oscar (the goby) just hangs out waiting for something to pass by. A few years ago I took to using a pipette to drop food close to him and after a while he started swimming to it whenever it was in the tank. Fast forward and now I can put a few pellets in my hand and if I go slow enough, he'll come up and eat out of my palm, just chilling there and eating.

Before I started this unique feeding the watchman goby/pistol shrimp was one of my favorite parts of this hobby and it still is. I don't expect every goby to be like this but watching the 2 of them do there thing really is the best.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like hawkfish but don't want the risk look into Plectranthias inermis, also called the geometric hawkfish, pygmy hawkfish and un armed perchlet! Reef safe, behaves just like a hawkfish (although its technically an anthia) and maxes out around 2.5-3 inches- awesome fish and great personality!

OP
OP
noxel56

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
M

i have 3 gobies that all eat frozen. I have a pink spotted goby in my 32 gallon that has grown from a little guy to a big fat 6 inch long guy. He sifts sand but I think gets most of his nourishment from eating the frozen food.
I really like the diamond watchman better than the others tbh. Did you buy him trained to eat prepared or did he just take a liking to it by himself?

OP
OP
noxel56

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got done hand feeding my blue spot watchman goby. I will always have one in my systems paired with a pistol shrimp. The watchman goby can be a little, well, slow. I've got wrasses, a clown and a tang that go berserk for food and usually my ol' pal Oscar (the goby) just hangs out waiting for something to pass by. A few years ago I took to using a pipette to drop food close to him and after a while he started swimming to it whenever it was in the tank. Fast forward and now I can put a few pellets in my hand and if I go slow enough, he'll come up and eat out of my palm, just chilling there and eating.

Before I started this unique feeding the watchman goby/pistol shrimp was one of my favorite parts of this hobby and it still is. I don't expect every goby to be like this but watching the 2 of them do there thing really is the best.
I don’t know which I like more, shrimp goby or sandsifting. So hard to choose

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on having a McCosckers flasher wrasse so I don’t know if they would be compatible.
I have a six line n Mccoskers. Make sure 6-line goes in way after n that he’s a little one. Th fairy wrasse mostly swims in the water column. The 6-line mostly around rock work so they don’t bump heads.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the diamond watchman better than the others tbh. Did you buy him trained to eat prepared or did he just take a liking to it by himself?
I think he just came like that. He was one of the first fish I ever got 3 years ago before I knew enough to ask. My other 2 gobies, a sleeper banded goby and a tiger goby, also came from the lfs already eating frozen. Those 2 actually eat nori also.

OP
OP
noxel56

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he just came like that. He was one of the first fish I ever got 3 years ago before I knew enough to ask. My other 2 gobies, a sleeper banded goby and a tiger goby, also came from the lfs already eating frozen. Those 2 actually eat nori also.
Sorry, what is Nori again? Is it some sort of algae, I can’t remember.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know which I like more, shrimp goby or sandsifting. So hard to choose
You could have both, as long as you have enough space for the both. In my experience though, sand sifting gobies need a very specialized aquarium to thrive, and shrimp gobies do not.

OP
OP
noxel56

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a shrimp goby but I don’t know how the Midas blenny would act towards it. I really love the Midas blenny, just heard I can be agressive towards smaller gobies.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back