What are some good resources that offer comprehensive information on reef tanks?

WallaceGrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't actually make a tank but back in the day when I was younger I would get my hands on any aquarium book I could find. They were all pretty comprehensive. I remember 'The Conscientious Marine Aquarist' by Fenner, of course Sprung and Delbeek's 3 Volume series, and many, many more. Now it seems most information is online but it is diffusely dispersed among different sources, not always authoritative or trustworthy. I have found BRS's 52 Weeks of Reefing the closest thing I can find to what I am looking for; Melev's Reef also has some good videos. Does anyone have other suggestions? Really any good resources would be appreciated...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
W

WallaceGrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moes marine systems and invertebrates was a fav of mine. Of course it’s old as is pretty much anything in print……print is dead….don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy the YouTube’s and podcasts out there but if you’re looking into the design, the how and the why of things, I’m not so sure you’ll find it. Most everything that I have come across is marketing, product placement, or vague like use this red thing it makes reefs amazing. What is this red thing, what does it do, and how does it work? Well, it’s red…you plug it in and it makes things better, works for me and I’ll never do it any other way. Brs does get into things, but there is a bit of a sales pitch involved. There seems to be a bit more of the deep how and why with the diy raspberry pi, arduino crowd but it’s focused solely on that aspect as opposed to the entirety of aquarium systems. If you find something, please post up links! I’m always interested

OP
OP
W

WallaceGrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most everything that I have come across is marketing, product placement, or vague like use this red thing it makes reefs amazing. What is this red thing, what does it do, and how does it work?

Yes! This is the trouble I am running into. Not too much I find goes into the same depth as the books used to.

OP
OP
W

WallaceGrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're interested in the chemistry angle, our resident expert, Randy Holmes-Farley has an entire sub-forum here with a ton of sticky threads :)
I have seen some of his posts and they're always very informative, I haven't checked out that sub forum but it looks like I'll have some reading to do today!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back