What are the best Algae Eating Fish for a Reef?

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey team,

Some friends and I put together this list for the Top 10 Algae Eating Fish in a Reef. But I wanted to start a discussion and get everyone's opinion on this. What are the best Algae eating fish ranked? For reefs? For Fish Only? Thank you!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this! Do the lawnmowers eat algae off rocks? Or just off the substrate?
I don't have much experience with lawnmowers, but heard they don't eat as much algae as the others

Foxface for surrrre. Any tangs specifically you like?
love my foxface, he has kept my bubble algae under control. Bristletooth tangs are great herbivores

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this! Do the lawnmowers eat algae off rocks? Or just off the substrate?
Mainly off the rocks. We've had one since last April but he's gotten really skinny these past few months and I don't think he's unfortunately going to make it. The tangs and other scavengers (snails, crabs, etc.) seem much better at algae duty.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lawnmower blennies will not do it. While they consume algae, its a myth that they are algae eaters. The trickiest part about keeping a blenny is making sure it gets enough to eat. You can tell this by looking at its abdomen, which should be a golf ball shape. A blenny with a pinched belly isn’t finding enough food.
Although they need algae to survive, its a misconception is that it can survive on algae alone. Their feeding habit is to pound and gnaw on coral as you likely see them doing all day, and ingest detritus, or waste material from the coral. This includes coral skeletons, sand, gravel, and on fish eggs and tiny crustaceans.
Since a blenny in the wild does not eat only algae, their captive diet must be supplemented and if your blenny is not getting enough calcium carbonate in its diet, it will rapidly deteriorate. Offer an occasional feeding of algae-based wafers or pellets.

Baka Mop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hey, I watched your porcupine puffer video before I got mine!
Also, tang gang all day. Foxface too. And if its a small tank, snails.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back