What are the best LPS corals for beginners?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, for my tank I have decided to start with the lowest maintenance corals, softies, but eventually I would like to move onto some simpler LPS corals. My question is, how much more demanding are LPS corals compared to soft corals? I know I’ll have to start monitoring for PO4 and alkalinity and calcium whereas for softies it’s usually just stuff like Strontium, Magnesium etc.

Any requirements for tank maturity or can they be inserted at any stage like many softies?

What equipment do I need for LPS that I don’t need for softies? And what LPS corals are the best for a beginner?

When you moved from softies to LPS, how big of a leap was it in difficulty?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Vernon Ebron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just getting into the LPS trend, I have to say feeding would be one difference, LPS can be harder eater, try to feed your corals at night [when the fish are sleeping] they eat very slow.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, for my tank I have decided to start with the lowest maintenance corals, softies, but eventually I would like to move onto some simpler LPS corals. My question is, how much more demanding are LPS corals compared to soft corals? I know I’ll have to start monitoring for PO4 and alkalinity and calcium whereas for softies it’s usually just stuff like Strontium, Magnesium etc.

Any requirements for tank maturity or can they be inserted at any stage like many softies?

What equipment do I need for LPS that I don’t need for softies? And what LPS corals are the best for a beginner?

Thanks!

Euphyllia, especially branch hammers; although, i've had just as much success with torches. They just grow and i typically don't spot feed them or worry about feeding them at all. Occasionally, I will broadcast feed them with Reef-Roids. I've found them easier to deal with, in a relatively new system, than softies like zoas and palys. GL

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from Euphyllia. They can be extremely aggressive to other corals. They need a good six inches or more clearance from other species. Caulastrea (Trumpets and Candy Canes) are probably the easiest and grow fast. Duncan (Whisker) corals are also easy. They react in obvious ways to parameter changes and are often finicky, but usually live through it. Good “canaries in the coal mine.”

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi i will add duncans ,candy canes,frogspawn ,good starters,happy reefing

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from Euphyllia. They are extremely aggressive to other corals. Caulastrea (Trumpets and Candy Canes) are probably the easiest and grow fast. Duncan (Whisker) corals are also easy. They react in obvious ways to parameter changes and are often finicky, but usually live through it. Good “canaries in the coal mine.”

Really? lol Maybe torches, but my branch hammers show nothing but luv to everything in my tank.:)

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? lol Maybe torches, but my branch hammers show nothing but luv to everything in my tank.:)
Octospawn and Frogspawn as well as Torches are notorious. Ask Katrina about Andrew’s Frogspawn. Almost killed their anemone.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I would have thought no coral could kill an anemone. Even a BTA.

MPS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i got started i had a mix of softies, brains, hammers... I also had fish. If you have a decent amount of fish in the tank, you wont need to worry about feeding the corals special.
As long as you give the hammers and torches room to swell, you'll be fine. love mine.

IMG_2572.JPG IMG_2577.JPG

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every coral is different I find, but compared to softies lps are not harder to keep! You do have to worry about some stinging other coral but other than that I havnt had to worry. Acans have been the easiest in my eyes but euphyllia can be iffy. I’d recommend frogspawn to try and start. Don’t over think it every coral is different!

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Jacker. I didn’t find LPS more difficult to keep. I started off with Duncans acan and a hammer coral.

You can feed them but don’t have to they’ll do fine without. Some will grow way faster if you do though. Most of them are very resilient too. I had a few inverts die that I didn’t notice an ammonia spiked a bit and then cyano got a foothold and they all survived perfectly fine. Literally the same day it got under control they were full opened back up.

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
LPS are mega easy. No more difficult than softies in my opinion. In fact, I find them easier than softies in my tank. They do better in my tank at least.
Acans, Favia and candy cane are super easy. If you want something more moderate look at Euphyllia(still pretty easy) or even some crusting types like Leptoseris or Chalice.

Happy reefing!

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just getting into the LPS trend, I have to say feeding would be one difference, LPS can be harder eater, try to feed your corals at night [when the fish are sleeping] they eat very slow.

Chyphaestra, candy canes, torches, zoas, are all easy. You can use coral food, mine seem to catch plenty of fish food but I give them reef chili once in a while. Make sure you are on top of alk stability.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the euphyllia comments but be ready to pay a little more for them. Someone mentioned Duncan’s as well which are hearty and easy to care for.

Just make sure your parameters are stable. You can feed euphyllia as well so if you want spot feed them with amino acids, reef roofs, benepets even mysis, a/b+ Just don’t over do it. If you have questions about it I’m happy to answer.

For equipment you’ll want a good wavemaker preferable something with variable speed. Something that will provide good moderate flow. what is your current tank size? If you don’t want to break the bank check out Jaebo they have some check wavemakers that’ll do the job.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies!

Tank is 6 foot long, 2.3 foot wide, 1.8 foot tall. Slightly shorter and slightly wider than a standard 6-2-2 180.

My two wavemakers will be Jebao SW20, each capable of pumping up to 5200 gallons of water per hour.

By the way, how many fragments of LPS would be suitable for a completely new tank? Can LPS tolerate new tanks well?

Alkalinity I plan to have between 10.0-11.0dKH.

Do I really have to feed the corals (LPS) and dose Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium and run carbon for them to thrive?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from Euphyllia. They can be extremely aggressive to other corals. They need a good six inches or more clearance from other species. Caulastrea (Trumpets and Candy Canes) are probably the easiest and grow fast. Duncan (Whisker) corals are also easy. They react in obvious ways to parameter changes and are often finicky, but usually live through it. Good “canaries in the coal mine.”
+1 for Duncans. While they can get enough nutrient without feeding, it is a fun party trick to drop a mysis on them and watch them gobble it up.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back