New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 425XL in my office

This is my goal to get a big tank, company paid for. My boss wont bite on that. So I thought if I get a small one just in my office and all the employees love it, then maybe he will see how valuable it is to employee moral and approve the purchase of a larger one in a common area.

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are people working that this would be permitted? I mean genuinely...
I used to work for a pet food company and I can see there it would not only be permitted, but would be seen as dedication and an example of our industry.
But outside of that, there's probably a theme in the type of industry, or maybe, having a good boss who doesn't mind this happening?

"...doesn't mind this happening"
That's an actual LOL

You make it sound like it's an affliction... wait... it kind of is.
@New&no clue I think you may be infected with MTOS (Multiple Tank Obsession Syndrome).

I'm just glad I'm immune <twitch, twitch>

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 16 in my office

That was my original thought was a 16, easy on maintenance and WC. However, I was worried about it being so small and the number of fish I could have. I would like two clowns and I have a fire fish as home that spends all day hiding because the coral beauty doesn't like him. So to house those three I was thinking a 30.

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wait I lied not completely stock I put a random flow generator on the return and an aqamai kps powerhead.

bsn_rn_cen

Grandmaster Algae Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my original thought was a 16, easy on maintenance and WC. However, I was worried about it being so small and the number of fish I could have. I would like two clowns and I have a fire fish as home that spends all day hiding because the coral beauty doesn't like him. So to house those three I was thinking a 30.

I'm probably not the best to ask about stocking lol. I have 4 nano tanks and 6 fish between them...

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LifeGuard Aquatics sells a slant-nose 7-gallon AIO that you can pack quite a few softies into. Less water means can basically do top-off and water changes from a gallon jug. I think the tank is about $80.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LifeGuard Aquatics sells a slant-nose 7-gallon AIO that you can pack quite a few softies into. Less water means can basically do top-off and water changes from a gallon jug. I think the tank is about $80.

I've seen these, but then I need to buy a light and lid so I feel they are close in price when you add everything together

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D3FF2787-EB23-4FE9-98EE-2E58F12BDE07.jpeg

Lights, yes. But it comes with a glass lid that helps keep evaporation down. I have two of the tanks just to dabble with softies— here’s one.

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 90g that has ATO and auto feeder. We use water that is delivered in the 5g jugs for the water fountain! The only issue we have is heat in summer. Those three day weekends where the HVAC is off in the building and it's 100 f outside.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 90g that has ATO and auto feeder. We use water that is delivered in the 5g jugs for the water fountain! The only issue we have is heat in summer. Those three day weekends where the HVAC is off in the building and it's 100 f outside.

Luckily we always have the AC or Heat on no matter if the office is open or not.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8025968E-B43C-4920-8100-89F67F8B74CE.jpeg

I’d say you have to choose the right type of Clown. This is my other 7-gallon nano. A Clown like this tends to ‘hover’ in it’s favorite spot— not so much swim. My understanding is that even in the wild they don’t venture far. Definitely I wouldn’t try something like a Saddleback Clown (they love to swim and cover a lot of ground) in a 7-gallon, or several other Clowns that get large. PS: A good low-polluting food the Clowns like... frozen fish eggs. Tiny enough for their mouths. I feed them several times a day.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so your typical ocellaris clown can be in something smaller. Again I was hoping to have two clowns and a fire fish from my current tank. Would those all fit in a 16 or should I go with the 32?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 16-gallon Biocube at the office— 2 small clowns would be fine there; especially if you found a coral to host them.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jealous?
one man's treasure... haha
...sitting with your tank 6 feet in front of your desk all day every day isn't necessarily something to be envious of.
To me, although beautiful and fun to gaze at, it's a non-stop critique-fest.
In a way, the tank is a reflection of me and just as I am with myself, I'm never "satisfied" with its current state.

I would continue, but I think I see a rock out of place... oh, and that coral looks like it needs to be rotated... crap, there's salt creep on that corner... now, where's my tank towel?
gotta go.
Oh I judge my tank and tweak most days!

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I may not be as much help because I actually work in the industry and we already have a lot of the things I need for my desktop aquarium here already, but I'll do my best to help you!

1. How do people deal with water? I know my boss wouldn't let me set up and RODI and mixing station here at work, so do people just bring water from home? We have an RODI unit here in the office, but even if we didn't, I would just consider coming into work 30 minutes to an hour early once a week to do any necessary maintenance, bringing my own water in a bucket from home. You can buy your water on the way in or the night before and just run a powerhead in it.

2. What do you do about feeding over weekends, or holidays? I don't-- I only feed my fish every 2 (or 3) days at a time-- if we are closed longer than 3 days, generally someone comes in to care for the tanks.

3. Related somewhat to 2, but what sort of automation do you have for the tank? No automation outside of the lighting/equipment. I do manual top offs.

4. What am I not thinking about? For people with office tanks what has been some issues that have come up? For me, there is literally no downside. I enjoy seeing my frags and livestock while I work. : )

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back