What are the most common or popular fish for 40 gallon tanks?

ScottsTot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of picking out a tank and I will likely settle for a Red Sea Reefer 170 which is a total of 45 gallons. I was originally intending to go Red Sea Reefer 250 but I will end up way over budget and I move from apartment to apartment quite often. Also, the more I think about it, I think I can keep all of the fish I really want in a 170 anyways.

I'm thinking a pair of clowns with an anemone, a flame angel, diamond goby or yasha goby with a shrimp, midas blenny, and a firefish.

What are some of the more popular fish out there that can be house in a tank that is 40-60 gallons? I'm curious if I missed any popular options that I might really want.

I've considered clowns, blennys (midas, tailspot), chromis, firefish, gobies (diamond, yasha, clown), mandarins, wrasses (6 line, yellow coris), angels (flame, coral beauty), anthias, royal gramma, damsels, and some dottybacks.

FartyParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most clowns and blennies and goby should be fine. If it were mine, I'd steer clear of longer fish like engineering gobies or lyretail anthias in such a small tank, if planning to overstock. It sounds cool now but might feel cramped later.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that size tank, the Midas Blenny may get aggressive with other Gobies or Blennies. A tailspot Blenny is a fine choice, just make sure the tank has some algae going and is well established before adding one as they often take months to go for our food. Same goes for adding the dwarf angels, should be added last to an established tank. After a full QT of course. Please do yourself a massive favor and QT these fish. You can get a cheap glass tank right now at Petco's $ per gallon sale for your QT tank. Lastly, the smaller you can get the angels the better. I don't suggest getting a 3" Angel to start with this size of tank. Shoot for 1 1/2-2" max.

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What your thinking sounds like it would work just fine. Smaller wrasse could also be ok in your new tank.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of picking out a tank and I will likely settle for a Red Sea Reefer 170 which is a total of 45 gallons. I was originally intending to go Red Sea Reefer 250 but I will end up way over budget and I move from apartment to apartment quite often. Also, the more I think about it, I think I can keep all of the fish I really want in a 170 anyways.

I'm thinking a pair of clowns with an anemone, a flame angel, diamond goby or yasha goby with a shrimp, midas blenny, and a firefish.

What are some of the more popular fish out there that can be house in a tank that is 40-60 gallons? I'm curious if I missed any popular options that I might really want.

I've considered clowns, blennys (midas, tailspot), chromis, firefish, gobies (diamond, yasha, clown), mandarins, wrasses (6 line, yellow coris), angels (flame, coral beauty), anthias, royal gramma, damsels, and some dottybacks.

I'm not sure I'd do the diamond sand-sifting goby in a 40 ... and they don't pair with shrimp. Those guys can burn through a lot of sand, and will pretty much make certain that there's not much alive in your sandbed in a tank that size.

Most dottybacks (and sixline wrasses...) are pretty aggressive. Savage, even. You might take a look at the pink-streaked wrasse or possum wrasse, which will have plenty of room to live naturally in that tank, and will be peaceful, to boot. If you do want to have a try with a dottyback, the orchid dotty might be your best bet. One of the smaller flasher wrasses, such as a McCosker's, might tickle your fancy as well. Make sure you've got a good cover on the tank!!

Be aware that a mandarin will burn through a lot of 'pods - you may need to re-stock, depending on how many your tank can produce. Most folks will recommend waiting a year or so before introducing a mandarin.

~Bruce

OP
OP
S

ScottsTot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I'd do the diamond sand-sifting goby in a 40 ... and they don't pair with shrimp. Those guys can burn through a lot of sand, and will pretty much make certain that there's not much alive in your sandbed in a tank that size.

Most dottybacks (and sixline wrasses...) are pretty aggressive. Savage, even. You might take a look at the pink-streaked wrasse or possum wrasse, which will have plenty of room to live naturally in that tank, and will be peaceful, to boot. If you do want to have a try with a dottyback, the orchid dotty might be your best bet. One of the smaller flasher wrasses, such as a McCosker's, might tickle your fancy as well. Make sure you've got a good cover on the tank!!

Be aware that a mandarin will burn through a lot of 'pods - you may need to re-stock, depending on how many your tank can produce. Most folks will recommend waiting a year or so before introducing a mandarin.

~Bruce
Ahh I think it's the watchman goby that pairs with the shrimp?

Yea I've been reading wrasses or dottybacks can be hard to keep. McCosker's is super cool...wow looks like a piece of candy lol.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clowns, Banggai cardinal, purple firefish, chromis, Lubbock's fairy wrasse, and a spotted mandarin in my 40.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that size tank, the Midas Blenny may get aggressive with other Gobies or Blennies. A tailspot Blenny is a fine choice, just make sure the tank has some algae going and is well established before adding one as they often take months to go for our food. Same goes for adding the dwarf angels, should be added last to an established tank. After a full QT of course. Please do yourself a massive favor and QT these fish. You can get a cheap glass tank right now at Petco's $ per gallon sale for your QT tank. Lastly, the smaller you can get the angels the better. I don't suggest getting a 3" Angel to start with this size of tank. Shoot for 1 1/2-2" max.

Hi, with a tail spot in a newer tank, you can use algae supplements to feed tailspot, no?

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a rsr170, stick with a pair of clowns and anemone and you will not have to deal with high nitrates and algae problems later.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back