New fish suggestion

maxberter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly we lost our firefish last night when he jumped out (I do have a custom lid, he jumped through a dime-sized opening, which I am plugging). Just looking for some suggestions for a new fish.

It's a 37 gallon tall FOWLR (with inverts), pic attached. Have a clown, midas blenny, bangai cardinalfish, cherub angelfish. Everyone gets along. Also have an urchin, 2 pom pom crabs and 2 sexy shrimp and a variety of snails.

What to get? A different firefish? A different goby? Wrasse? I'd love a small puffer, but worried about losing my CUC and other possible issues. Thanks for any thoughts.

20240218_160643.jpg

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly we lost our firefish last night when he jumped out (I do have a custom lid, he jumped through a dime-sized opening, which I am plugging). Just looking for some suggestions for a new fish.

It's a 37 gallon tall FOWLR (with inverts), pic attached. Have a clown, midas blenny, bangai cardinalfish, cherub angelfish. Everyone gets along. Also have an urchin, 2 pom pom crabs and 2 sexy shrimp and a variety of snails.

What to get? A different firefish? A different goby? Wrasse? I'd love a small puffer, but worried about losing my CUC and other possible issues. Thanks for any thoughts.

20240218_160643.jpg
Small Valentino puffer might be cool. I’ve had one in a tank this size. It never bothered my hermits or snails, but ate a cleaner shrimp the minute I introduced it.

Blue spotted jaw fish would also be very cool.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

20240218_160643.jpg
Personally I like a pair of clowns. . . that said, other options might be a 6-line wrasse (can be aggressive but being last addition might help), some type of pseudochromis (dotty back. . . also aggressive), blue green chromis, some type of goby, or a springeri damsel?

Could try to find a mimic filefish (mimics a saddleback puffer), but depending on your area they may be harder to find.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

20240218_160643.jpg
Another firefish
Dartfish
strawberry basslet

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great @maxberter! Do you recall what type of live rock that is? (Purple)

I want to redo my rockscape in my Red Sea Nano Peninsula and love the look of yours. LMK, thank you!

OP
OP
M

maxberter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great @maxberter! Do you recall what type of live rock that is? (Purple)

I want to redo my rockscape in my Red Sea Nano Peninsula and love the look of yours. LMK, thank you!
Thanks! The center purple structure is Caribsea LifeRock. One large arch at the bottom, and two smaller arches. The top rock on the left is freestanding wedged/balanced in place with some superglue as well. The one on the right is just balanced and also leans against the back wall. I can tilt this forward to clean the back glass with a magnet in the area it makes contact. Attached a couple of pics.

20230508_070202.jpg 20230526_213042.jpg

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The center purple structure is Caribsea LifeRock. One large arch at the bottom, and two smaller arches. The top rock on the left is freestanding wedged/balanced in place with some superglue as well. The one on the right is just balanced and also leans against the back wall. I can tilt this forward to clean the back glass with a magnet in the area it makes contact. Attached a couple of pics.

20230508_070202.jpg 20230526_213042.jpg
Ah - thank you so much, going to check it out now!

Looks great, and the CaribSea arches are perfect since you have a tall tank - works out very nicely. Appreciate the help!

OP
OP
M

maxberter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a follow up question regarding the valentini puffer, for those that have had them. I've been reading that they are "messy", but dont really have a good sense for what that means exactly.

I have a small, $15 "skimmer" in the tank, but otherwise no mechanical filtration. I do a weekly 5 gallon water change. Nitrates are stable at about 10 ppm. Would you be concerned about the mess/bioload a puffer would add? Especially if he ate all the snails?

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a follow up question regarding the valentini puffer, for those that have had them. I've been reading that they are "messy", but dont really have a good sense for what that means exactly.

I have a small, $15 "skimmer" in the tank, but otherwise no mechanical filtration. I do a weekly 5 gallon water change. Nitrates are stable at about 10 ppm. Would you be concerned about the mess/bioload a puffer would add? Especially if he ate all the snails?
I don’t believe it will be any more “messy” than another fish of that size. They are very interesting to watch and I’ve kept one in a similar sized tank as you without a problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back