How many more fish??

Sitcher6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50 gallon cube (24x24x20 inches) that I am looking to fill out with some final fish. I currently have the following:

2 ocellaris clowns (black and white)
1 african flameback angel
1 yellow coris wrasse

I am looking to add some more fish but wanted to see what the experts on here thought! My current thoughts are a lawnmower/starry blenny, an orchid dottyback, and/or a goby such as a yasha goby. I definitely want one of the blennies because I love the personalities but am concerned about maxing out my bioload or just cramming too many fish into a small-ish aquarium as far as swimming space if I got all three. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

OP
OP
S

Sitcher6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input! I ended up getting a Starry blenny over the weekend. It definitely still feels like I could add both a goby that lives in the sandbed and one more free swimming fish of some kind.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blenny &/or goby will be fine as long as you have a large enough rock structure. Depending on the type of goby you get, it can give chase to the blenny, again, it depends on the goby. With a large structure, either fish can claim territory & hide within the structure of chased. About the dottyback, there’s a high chance it can claim a large territory & not allow any new fish in similar size. In my experience, if you want a dottyback, it should be left towards the end of introduction. It will allow others to claim territory before the dottyback. Hope it helps & good luck.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine bioload size wise but personalities of fish is always touchy add until you see aggression then stop. If aggression gets too bad take aggressor out and that’s your max.

OP
OP
S

Sitcher6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updating this thread rather than starting a new one to get some more opinions on my new stocking plan. I ended up getting rid of the clownfish pair as they were way too aggressive in my tank. That leaves me with the following currently in the aquarium:

African Flameback Angel
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Starry Blenny

My current plans for additional fish are as follows. Let me know what everyone thinks.

5 Springeri Damsels
Orchid dottyback
Diamond goby
Chalk bass
Additional wrasse of some kind

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back