What are these new things in my tank?

Ditzy3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these new things in my tank? Can anyone help me?!? Thanks in advance!!!:)
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1367348435.149247.jpg
these white snow cap things?
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1367348471.992638.jpg
and this rust colored stuff on my rocks?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

matty0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank appears to still be cycling. The brown is diatoms with air bubbles from the gasses trapped under the mat. The white I can't really say without a better pic, could be sponges. Do you have a test kit?

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever let your tank cycle before you added coral and stuff?? Matty0206 is definitely right about it cycling

matty0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your levels are stable and you don't have any nitrites or ammonia do a good size water change and add some snails and hermits to start to eat the algae. You will need to maintain a crew of critters in your tank that keep it clean, snail, hermits, limpets, stars, pods, etc. You might also want to get a test kit and start testing your self. Are you using water from the LFS?

OP
OP
Ditzy3

Ditzy3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr. E. wrasse.......I don't know that it went through a cycle before. I've been trying different LFS here and each one says something different. So I added stuff when I was told I could....of course now I'm hearing different things so I'm trying to do the best I can with my situation now....

OP
OP
Ditzy3

Ditzy3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much Matty for all your advice!! Helps so much!:) I'm learning sllllloooooowly!:)

matty0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to help, keep asking questions on here and other forums, you need advice without agenda in this hobby. You have to remember that LFS's are a business and want to make money, many are reputable but many are not and others just don't know any better. They can also make twice as much money off you if they can sell you something that they know will die and then you are back buying again. You have to research everything yourself and get a bunch of answers and take the middle ground from there.

You might want to do a series of small water changes, testing between each change. You also want to make sure your water is the same salinity and close temp to the water you are using to change.

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm well just keep getting your water tested and like matty said get a clean up crew and definitely monitor that algae because its nasty looking!

OP
OP
Ditzy3

Ditzy3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Matty, you are right about lfs's and their agenda....I think I found a really great guy....and I have been asking questions like crazy...you just can't know enough. It's such a delicate process.....I'm trying to do right by my poor tank!!!

matty0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a clean up crew is the way to take care of this problem?

They will eat it yes but it will come back if the cycle is not over. Diatoms usually come at the end of a cycle so you will probably be ok. How long has the tank been running? Have you done any water changes?

matty0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Matty, you are right about lfs's and their agenda....I think I found a really great guy....and I have been asking questions like crazy...you just can't know enough. It's such a delicate process.....I'm trying to do right by my poor tank!!!

I killed a bunch of stuff when I first started 7 or so years ago. It's a learning process.

LisaD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, that looks like a cycling tank. Clean up crew will fix you right up!!

OP
OP
Ditzy3

Ditzy3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will eat it yes but it will come back if the cycle is not over. Diatoms usually come at the end of a cycle so you will probably be ok. How long has the tank been running? Have you done any water changes?

The tank has been set up for 2weeks now....it's very new!!! We did our first water change yesterday....

jesterisdead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank was first setup I had brown algae growing like your rocks look like and lots of airbubbles as it turned out coming from it. I just did small water changes and added my clean up crew including a few emerald crabs and about a week later no algae and no strange bubbles not rising just setting there. It wasn't bubble algae either.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back