What are these on torch?

kriskool123

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 24, 2014
Messages
90
Reaction score
68
Location
Miami Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed these on my ASD Grail .

Can anyone ID if this is a parasite or normal ?

IMG_2232.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I see mesenterial filaments (inner distended tissue of your coral) and an asterina starfish. Ultimately, I think there’s more fear mongering on asterinas and mixed opinions. “If they have a red or orange dot(s), they’re not reef safe.” I never could tell I had any problems in my first tank and I had a healthy population of these guys. But I don’t think I ever let them annoy my corals when I saw it….


Tldr: probably safest to pluck it off! Especially if it came with the coral. “Where the food goes* I go”
 
Last edited:
I agree with Rayadog. The location of the Asterina looks suspect to me. Should be flesh on the skeleton below the torch head and I don't see anything. mesenterial filaments will come out from irritation or injury. Some corals use them to feed but not usually torches.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new