What are these on torch?

kriskool123

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 24, 2014
Messages
90
Reaction score
68
Location
Miami Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed these on my ASD Grail .

Can anyone ID if this is a parasite or normal ?

IMG_2232.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I see mesenterial filaments (inner distended tissue of your coral) and an asterina starfish. Ultimately, I think there’s more fear mongering on asterinas and mixed opinions. “If they have a red or orange dot(s), they’re not reef safe.” I never could tell I had any problems in my first tank and I had a healthy population of these guys. But I don’t think I ever let them annoy my corals when I saw it….


Tldr: probably safest to pluck it off! Especially if it came with the coral. “Where the food goes* I go”
 
Last edited:
I agree with Rayadog. The location of the Asterina looks suspect to me. Should be flesh on the skeleton below the torch head and I don't see anything. mesenterial filaments will come out from irritation or injury. Some corals use them to feed but not usually torches.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.8%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new