What are these things taking over my tank?

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some aiptasia x or a similar product and start working away at them everyday. It honestly won't take that long until you have them under control and the majority eradicated. You don't need to start ripping rocks out and chipping away at them.
My worry is that I cannot get to a lot of them so it will be a never ending battle! I’d love a natural solution but if I can’t find one by Friday I think I’m going all out on this strategy

Starbuxxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a scientific name but I would treat them like Aiptasia. Filefish and peppermint shrimp. If you have a wrasse, move it to the sump or remove it so the shrimp and nudis can work. Filefish and peppermint completely eradicated my small aiptasia outbreak in my 150g

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing I can come up with are the two below, I guess the question is will peppermint / file fish go for it.

gonactinia prolifera (Could be too small)
sealoch anemone (Protanthea simplex but this seems to be a cold water type)

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can't you get to them? Not sure if you have seen the products I'm talking about but they come with a needle and a very fine tip. You can get into small cracks and down inside rocks with it no problem. It will kill basically anything it comes in contact with so even if it's not aiptasia or a weird species it doesn't matter, it's dead.
I've used F aptasia in the past to great effect but these are smaller and just in very difficult to reach places. Honestly I think I'll have to go this route but well see.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia take several months to work. Peppermint are hit or miss. Aptasia x effective but with limitations due to locations. Fish is an option if your LFS will let you bring back for credit. I've even tried prayer to rid my tank of the little demons. They also rent those mojano wands which might work on Aptasia too. If all else fails get a laser and a 6 pack and let them know you mean business. If you show any signs of desperation then they will run over you like a mack truck.

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done more research and I have a few more viable genus below. Some bunodeopsis are invasive which corroborates the explosive growth rate. They also have a natural predator (a type of nudibranch related to berhgia, Baeolidia scottjohnsoni), but there is no shot I can get them unless I catch a flight to the Marshall Islands, perhaps under the pretense of a tropical getaway with my girlfreind :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: . Sooooo I ordered 6 Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata boggessi) from AlgaeBarn, I'll put them in a small holding tank with a bunch of the nems and see if they eat em.

Aiptasiogeton hyalinus
bunodeopsis

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back