What are these?

FishKeeper.mp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These kind of look like clove polyps and have the color of aptasia, but they don’t grow like aptasia and I had to remove a chunk of zoas to get rid of them and now they’re back. Any help would be nice.

IMG_3966.jpeg IMG_3967.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An invasive octocoral (like clove polyps and their relatives) of some kind - there have been enough of these popping up recently that I'm tempted to try and actually figure out how to differentiate the various kinds.

Regardless, they're highly invasive, and it looks like they're going to be spreading more in your tank soon - the little, gelatinous mat you can see them growing from is going to spread and sprout more polyps, and the polyps can drop pieces that grow into new, mat-forming corals.

If you think you can remove the entire thing (mat and all) without losing pieces in the tank, you can try manual removal, but with at least some species (such as Blue Clove Polyps) the only really effective method I'm aware of is Fenbendazole.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An invasive octocoral (like clove polyps and their relatives) of some kind - there have been enough of these popping up recently that I'm tempted to try and actually figure out how to differentiate the various kinds.

Regardless, they're highly invasive, and it looks like they're going to be spreading more in your tank soon - the little, gelatinous mat you can see them growing from is going to spread and sprout more polyps, and the polyps can drop pieces that grow into new, mat-forming corals.

If you think you can remove the entire thing (mat and all) without losing pieces in the tank, you can try manual removal, but with at least some species (such as Blue Clove Polyps) the only really effective method I'm aware of is Fenbendazole.
Kalk paste?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk paste?
Kalk paste and other Aiptasia removal methods may be worth a shot (I don't know that they would work, but I've only really seen big clove polyps infestations where it wouldn't really be feasible, so it might), but you'd want to really keep an eye out for dropped or missed pieces.

OP
OP
FishKeeper.mp3

FishKeeper.mp3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok, thank you for the id.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back