What are these things taking over my tank?

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these odd little aptasia like anemones popping up all over my tank. They are different than aptasia. They don’t seem to grow in direct light, don’t get as big, and don’t react to aptasia X the way aptasia do. Anyone know what these are and how to get rid of them? IMG_0833.jpeg IMG_0835.png

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the sequence of events that the masses do:

visually see an organism slowly take over the tank, yet refuse to do the one required action which will stop the invasion. they'll opt for injections, potions, juices, fish, shrimp, and all that is searchable as failure potential but they simply will not do what's required to end this matter in 3 hours, isn't that a fascinating set of conditions

even if I spoke what would fix it, the instant reply would be ten reasons why we can't do it that way. I'm telling you: its not possible to beat the tractor beam from those little anemones just fold it all up now and yield to them.

in the end, reefers don't truly want to be free of minor anemone pests. something in the deep amygdala wants what's coming, and I can't take notes fast enough its amazing choices we do.

aiptasias take control over the mind and spirit; there's almost no chance to win now that the mechanism has been laid out.

however with a butter knife or a small flathead screwdriver and a tap hammer your reef's destiny could just change in an instant-but that is too simple, the masses just won't do it. and in that innate doubt we have all searchable outcomes for the tanks wrecked by those popups we see above. simply doing opposite of what the masses do was always an option; but groupthink will always win. we are never allowed to take command, we're only given hopeful options regarding aips and majanos. it's in the searchable threads

we should for once in human history fix your tank correctly, and give searchers a new outcome they can see and replicate in every instance.

the way to fix it would be to say yes to a series of four steps instead of no with ten reasons why :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is the sequence of events that the masses do:

visually see an organism slowly take over the tank, yet refuse to do the one required action which will stop the invasion. they'll opt for injections, potions, juices, fish, shrimp, and all that is searchable as failure potential but they simply will not do what's required to end this matter in 3 hours, isn't that a fascinating set of conditions

even if I spoke what would fix it, the instant reply would be ten reasons why we can't do it that way. I'm telling you: its not possible to beat the tractor beam from those little anemones just fold it all up now and yield to them.

in the end, reefers don't truly want to be free of minor anemone pests. something in the deep amygdala wants what's coming, and I can't take notes fast enough its amazing choices we do.

aiptasias take control over the mind and spirit; there's almost no chance to win now that the mechanism has been laid out.

however with a butter knife or a small flathead screwdriver and a tap hammer your reef's destiny could just change in an instant-but that is too simple, the masses just won't do it. and in that innate doubt we have all searchable outcomes for the tanks wrecked by those popups we see above. simply doing opposite of what the masses do was always an option; but groupthink will always win. we are never allowed to take command, we're only given hopeful options regarding aips and majanos. it's in the searchable threads

we should for once in human history fix your tank correctly, and give searchers a new outcome they can see and replicate in every instance.

the way to fix it would be to say yes to a series of four steps instead of no with ten reasons why :)
This isn’t really helpful, what action is required?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you able to take out one test rock with them on it, and set it on the counter and do reef dentistry to it (my typical dilemma is reasons a rock can't be lifted out/must stay in)

after work we will then set it back without any anemones on the rock, and then track that rock in the system against what the other ones do using any other method. we can work your test rock live time as it sits on the counter. any attachments like corals will be just fine as we precision handle that rock like a reef dentist.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Majano is an imprecise name given by hobbyists to a range of ‘plague’ anemones. I’ve had issues with ‘majanos’ for many years. In my case, employing a fish predator in the form of an Asfur angel proved highly effective. Also effective against zooanthids unfortunately. Your anemones don’t look like the ones I had, so my observations may not be completely accurate. Unlike aiptasia, that can spread by spores, majanos in my tanks reproduce by pedal fission. This makes them more containable, though they will cover rocks if left unattended. Kalk paste, or the various commercial preparations for aiptasia will also work on majano - though generally only when there are few. Once you get a lot these approaches never worked for me. Thus the Asfur.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t really helpful, what action is required?
He's talking about manual removal. The best and safest way to remove them. Take the rock out chip/scrape the nem off, rinse rock in tank water in a bucket, put rock back, empty bucket. Sometimes like in my tank people have large structures of rock and cant easily remove the rock. Mine is 3 main structures so easier but still a pain. Its not super smart to build structures like this, but it looks nice (usually), until something like this happens. It can be avoided sometimes if you are very careful when adding corals. If you used live rock or live wet rock from a tank its harder.

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's talking about manual removal. The best and safest way to remove them. Take the rock out chip/scrape the nem off, rinse rock in tank water in a bucket, put rock back, empty bucket. Sometimes like in my tank people have large structures of rock and cant easily remove the rock. Mine is 3 main structures so easier but still a pain. Its not super smart to build structures like this, but it looks nice (usually), until something like this happens. It can be avoided sometimes if you are very careful when adding corals. If you used live rock or live wet rock from a tank its harder.
Thanks for the translation! Yea I’m in the same boat, a few large structures, it’s inconvenient but it looks nice. I’ll get researching I’m hoping berghia will set them right, the problem is they are in very inconvenient places.

OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Majano is an imprecise name given by hobbyists to a range of ‘plague’ anemones. I’ve had issues with ‘majanos’ for many years. In my case, employing a fish predator in the form of an Asfur angel proved highly effective. Also effective against zooanthids unfortunately. Your anemones don’t look like the ones I had, so my observations may not be completely accurate. Unlike aiptasia, that can spread by spores, majanos in my tanks reproduce by pedal fission. This makes them more containable, though they will cover rocks if left unattended. Kalk paste, or the various commercial preparations for aiptasia will also work on majano - though generally only when there are few. Once you get a lot these approaches never worked for me. Thus the Asfur.
Yea these don’t seem to literally be Mojanos, they are something else, but like ya said, clearly a pest anemone. “while the Manjano anemone has ‘stubby' tentacles that are often bulbous at the tips.” the tentacles here are pointed and very dainty. I may just get to work with kalk paste, but a couple hundred worth of berghia, and grab one of those lasers to zap em.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure to read this before risking all your fish:

Live invertebrates can of course act as fomites for some fish diseases

worthy of taking note depending on how much you value the fish. if there's no qt and fallow in place already then all wheels in no prob.
per that closeup pic that's an advanced growth rate course underway. strong action is called for.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tuna Melt

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread in hopes that someone can help diagnose the species of anemone. I really need to find a natural way to control em because I just can’t get to a lot of them that are in very awkward overhangs etc. The problem is they are not Aptasia and not Manjano so it’s hard to know what eats them, I don’t want to start adding aptasia-eating fish Willy-nilly but I may have to.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this thread in hopes that someone can help diagnose the species of anemone. I really need to find a natural way to control em because I just can’t get to a lot of them that are in very awkward overhangs etc. The problem is they are not Aptasia and not Manjano so it’s hard to know what eats them, I don’t want to start adding aptasia-eating fish Willy-nilly but I may have to.
Well since you have aptasia you can try berghia.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I tried berghia, this weekend. I got 6 of em to see if they would eat them, I dropped a few of the anemones in a glass jar with them over night to no avail.
May take a bit for them to get acclimated and start to eat. Anything in the tank that will eat the berghia? Might just let them go in tank and see what happens.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back