What are these things?

AngryCuttlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these things? I guess bacteria but I don't understand which ones. They coming from the live rocks

1000071688.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My view is that you are disturbing the detritus clinging to the live rock and it is getting scattered around the new tank as you add water. Could be a lot of bacteria mixed in with the stuff but I don't see anything to worry about. If you want to clean it, siphon through a sock into a bucket and return the filtered water to the aquarium.

Next time, swirl the rock in a bucket of water to knock the funk off before you put it into the display tank. Quick swirl in old tank water or fresh tap water, either one will do the trick and put it back in the tank.

slip n slide basketball GIF
It's extra points if you make a basket. :cool:

OP
OP
A

AngryCuttlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My view is that you are disturbing the detritus clinging to the live rock and it is getting scattered around the new tank as you add water. Could be a lot of bacteria mixed in with the stuff but I don't see anything to worry about. If you want to clean it, siphon through a sock into a bucket and return the filtered water to the aquarium.

Next time, swirl the rock in a bucket of water to knock the funk off before you put it into the display tank. Quick swirl in old tank water or fresh tap water, either one will do the trick and put it back in the tank.

slip n slide basketball GIF
It's extra points if you make a basket. :cool:
Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back