What are these?

Alid34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep getting different answers. I’ve been told sea squirts, seed shrimp or a really bad type of snail (they didn’t know the name). Their in both my canister filters on my 110 gallon reef tank. I don’t see any in my actual tank. When I take apart the canisters to clean they don’t swim and don’t seem to try to move.

F0D425E7-56BD-4BB0-8A05-95344D5C1F11.jpeg

72FA54B8-7EEF-44A6-8440-F2DE016F358F.jpeg

1BD69895-2CEF-4B4F-A785-3DD04F42FC70.jpeg

A6931253-8578-44F3-AADF-7391DB28D155.jpeg

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Pineapple Sponges. Usually found in relatively new systems. They usually disappear although I have some in my return area for over a year. Yours look really healthy. Generally bacterial or phyto feeders.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Pineapple Sponges. Usually found in relatively new systems. They usually disappear although I have some in my return area for over a year. Yours look really healthy. Generally bacterial or phyto feeders.

OP
OP
Alid34

Alid34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s it! So don’t worry about removing them? Like I said their just in both canister filters. Tank has been up and running for about 7 months.

Another question anyone have good advice on how to get rid of nudibranchs? I was finding a couple a week and I haven’t seen any for awhile but my one rock with Zoanthids is dwindling down. That’s the only thing I can think of since all my water parameters are great.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave them alone unless they are clogging up something. If your tank if big enough and the nudibranchs are small, you could look into a halichoeres wrasse. Maybe a melanurus or yellow coris. They may eat them but you never know with fish.

OP
OP
Alid34

Alid34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave them alone unless they are clogging up something. If your tank if big enough and the nudibranchs are small, you could look into a halichoeres wrasse. Maybe a melanurus or yellow coris. They may eat them but you never know with fish.

We have a high 110 gallon tank. I haven’t seen any but there has to be some in there somewhere that I’m just not seeing. I’m going to go over the tank tonight and see if I can find any. It’s upsetting because that rock was covered in Zoas. I’ve noticed to that a lot of the ones that are left arent wanting to open up. I do a water change every other week and all water levels are always good. Only thing that’s ever up a little is my nitrates and their usually 5ppm which I was told not to worry about that. I also dose the tank with marine snow. My other rocks with zoas on them are just fine and other corals are doing excellent.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a high 110 gallon tank. I haven’t seen any but there has to be some in there somewhere that I’m just not seeing. I’m going to go over the tank tonight and see if I can find any. It’s upsetting because that rock was covered in Zoas. I’ve noticed to that a lot of the ones that are left arent wanting to open up. I do a water change every other week and all water levels are always good. Only thing that’s ever up a little is my nitrates and their usually 5ppm which I was told not to worry about that. I also dose the tank with marine snow. My other rocks with zoas on them are just fine and other corals are doing excellent.

Take a picture of the zoas and start a thread in the zoa forum. I am no zoa expert, but someone else might see something you don't.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 110 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back