What are they doing?? Weird clowns...

SueAbu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until yesterday, I had 4 very peaceful clownfish. They didn't have territories. They didn't seem paired. Yesterday, the smaller orange ones started going nose to nose, with one then chasing the other. The bigger orange one was only a little interested. Today, two are ganging up on the one (on the left). They're more active about it what the lights are lower. I had to secure the tank top because they got going so fast, they left the water! When the two swim off and leave the one on the left alone, s/he goes in search of them. THEN I just noticed the black and white one do a twitchy, lay sideways thing, off to the side, too! S/he hasn't been very involved in this whole thing. Mating? Or do I have an issue bigger than my 55 gallon tank? TIA!!

Last edited:

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels are great aren't they? Little jerks lol. I think, with clowns and having that temperament that you really are going to have mixed results. There's a chance they may not chill out and someone may need to go.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 clowns in a relatively small tank rarely works. Rehome 2.

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels are great aren't they? Little jerks lol. I think, with clowns and having that temperament that you really are going to have mixed results. There's a chance they may not chill out and someone may need to go.
Those 2 little Damsels are like the kids in a playground fight... Just giggling off to the side and egging them on.

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another tank downstairs.
I meant the clownfish lol. The

I was referring to the clowns lol. But the striped ones did appear to enjoy watching
Lol.. part of this morning's research included learning clowns are in the damsel family... I'm catching up. Maybe in another 50 years...

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In have another tank, downstairs... Currently home to what's left of my grandson's great idea to bring periwinkles home from a trip to the Maine coast. "Mémère, you said you needed to get some snails!"

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiples will not work in a small tank for extended periods of time. People will get harems, but 4 is not that. By 2 years, you will have only 2 (maybe sooner). Rehome two, making sure to maybe keep a small and large one for yourself.

What went wrong was nothing. They were still juveniles, they are growing up. Just nature. :)

OP
OP
SueAbu

SueAbu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiples will not work in a small tank for extended periods of time. People will get harems, but 4 is not that. By 2 years, you will have only 2 (maybe sooner). Rehome two, making sure to maybe keep a small and large one for yourself.

What went wrong was nothing. They were still juveniles, they are growing up. Just nature. :)
I knew I was feeding them too well... Ty

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until yesterday, I had 4 very peaceful clownfish. They didn't have territories. They didn't seem paired. Yesterday, the smaller orange ones started going nose to nose, with one then chasing the other. The bigger orange one was only a little interested. Today, two are ganging up on the one (on the left). They're more active about it what the lights are lower. I had to secure the tank top because they got going so fast, they left the water! When the two swim off and leave the one on the left alone, s/he goes in search of them. THEN I just noticed the black and white one do a twitchy, lay sideways thing, off to the side, too! S/he hasn't been very involved in this whole thing. Mating? Or do I have an issue bigger than my 55 gallon tank? TIA!!
never reccomended to keep more than 2 clownfish in a tank, or they will most likely kill each other off.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
never reccomended to keep more than 2 clownfish in a tank, or they will most likely kill each other off.
I have 3 in a 5 ft tank. The new one is an .... enter proper bad word. The large female clown of mine has claimed her territory and if she leaves it, she gets a whooping. And if the new clown leave his turf, he gets... scolded. The little one is going to cause me issues down the road. Unless they keep to their turfs. Territory is very important with any territorial fish.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 pairs in 2 tanks. Took 1 tank down after a disaster. Had lost 1 clown. Eventually 1 of the 3 clowns in the new tank disappeared. Found him a couple months later in my overflow! Took me another 4-5 months to figure out how to get him out! (sand added slowly to force him closer to the surface so I could net him. Set up the RS 170 for him. Got him a new buddy and a couple damsels for that 40 g tank

BigRedReefer MT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a 75 gallon set-up and a 120 in the garage waiting. I have to redo my basement flooring though before I can upgrade. Still haven't purchased the upgraded equipment either. A lot changed over the last few years, but things are finally moving up again.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back