What are your captive bred mandarins eating?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of what food it takes, I would strongly encourage building a good sized pod population. Because their digestive tract is still so short and inefficient that they still need to graze almost non-stop.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what owners of the biota captive bred mandarins have had success feeding
Ocean nutrition cyclops soacked in selcon and refrigerated. I turn all the equipment off and Turkey base a very small amount in one spot. She takes like 1/2 hour to start to eat sometimes.
After a few weeks I tried baby bribe from Hikari and she went crazy for it.
FWIW I have her alone in a bare bottom 10g holding tank

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of what food it takes, I would strongly encourage building a good sized pod population. Because their digestive tract is still so short and inefficient that they still need to graze almost non-stop.
Very true I feed mine about 5 times a day she eats all day

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed. There is no escaping the pod issue for Mandarins. Mine started eating frozen mysis and reef frenzy and it still starved to death.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine goes crazy for gutloaded brine, doesn't look at anything else even when I mix it with brine. (Doesn't like mysis, oyster eggs, frozen tiger pods, squid pieces, baby brine,) only brine shrimp and live pods

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what owners of the biota captive bred mandarins have had success feeding
Mostly pods, as soon as my biota male went in my 90 it forgot about eating prepared foods and just started hunting. I initially re-trained it and got it eating frozen cyclops from a tupperware cave I made, until my peppermint shrimps started beating him too it and scared him off. Now he eats enriched brine from a baster, he knows when the pumps go off that feeding is imminent and gets more lively. I must say though he spits out a lot of the brine anyway so I occasionally replenish the pod population.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back