What are your favorite flasher wrasses?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
40,649
Reaction score
67,833
Location
Fontana, California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are your favorite flasher wrasses? Which ones would you put together in a tank (let's say midrange at 75-120 gallons)?
 
Any other recommendations? I have a McCosker's and another that I'm trying to identify (it was sold to me under the wrong name).
 
I keep the Blue, McCoskers, Carpenters and Yellow Fin together in a 100 gal. I probably like the Blue the best but they are all good choices.
 
I think the other one I have may be a female blue. I was told it was a "blue throat" flasher...which of course, after I checked, a blue throat is a fairy wrasse, and this is definitely a flasher...so...not sure what I have for the 2nd one.
 
How delicate are they once QT’d?
 
P. lineopunctatus is a severely understated flasher. The purples and reds are gorgeous, and it turns blue-purple when flashing.
PXL_20250613_223458956.MP.jpg

PXL_20250613_223500146.MP.jpg

PXL_20250613_223500146_exported_stabilized_1760761636606.gif


Here he is with the exquisite flashing him.
PXL_20250617_214942187.MP.jpg


I unfortunately lost this one through a jumping incident, and I'm waiting on my female P. angulatus (Royal Flasher) to transition, now.

P. cyaneus is also an excellent choice. If sky's the limit, Paracheilinus hemitaeniatus is your flasher. If you think a peppermint angel is a reasonable fish, Paracheilinus alfiani is the flasher for you.
 
If sky's the limit, Paracheilinus hemitaeniatus is your flasher.
I wish... This is my holy grail fish, but also one I'll never own. Haha!

If you think a peppermint angel is a reasonable fish, Paracheilinus alfiani is the flasher for you.
Wow! Had never even heard of this one. He's incredible!!
 
Still looking into this. I'm trying to pick maybe 3 more for my tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 30.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new