What are your favorite snails?

sharky79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me about your favorite snails! What are the ones you DEFINITELY always include in your clean up crew?
I love my turbos, other then them knocking things around once in a while. And my nassarius snails are really cool, I'll always include these in any tank I have

Bellamy55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plenty of cerith snails. love them. my favorite by far are the virgin nerites. the shells are beautiful and they eat non stop day and night. I used to have a couple limpets that did a great job cleaning but they eventually flipped

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
cerith and astrea. great workers !!

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2182923D-8C46-42D5-824A-84AF0F68489A.jpeg

Whatever specific species of Trochus snail this is. These things are beasts. Much larger than the regular banded black foot trochus, move fast and just mow down algae.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus and ceriths for me. Maybe I should of got a tiger conch my big fighting is like a unproductive rock. Still in search of a hermit friendly sand sifter

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red banded or black footed trochus are fantastic. Both are long lived, will breed in captivity, and eat a ton of algae.

Stomatella are my other favorite. Harder to get but amazing. They nearly disappear during day hiding under their small shells then emerge at night to quietly and discreetly clean your tank. They never bulldoze and also reproduce in the aquarium. They are green (black on rare occasion) and kinda look like JarJar Binks (no idea how to spell that).

I like cerriths and nerites but the type that will succeed in your tank will depend on what temps you run it at and while long lived don’t seem to reproduce very often (my hallmark for really living and succeeding in captivity).

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astrea seem to last the longest for me. Ceriths are another I always have.

Really?

I will never get those again.

They Cannot Flip Over.

When I got them I would go in the Tank 10 Times Day to Flip them Over and they all still died.

Biggest Waste of Money Ever.

I Love Tiger Trochus as they Flip themselves over and I don't have to go in the Tanks every 2 Seconds to save them.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trochus are my favorite just because they can right themselves. My astrea snails are constantly needing flipped over. I have a long rod I can stick in my tank just for that purpose.

So True Astrea are Worthless

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus, Mexican turbos, astra , cerith snails.
mexican turbos eat algae and cyano the best but they die a lot as there from cold waters . Trochus are nice as they reright themselves and long lived . Astra snails are good do to small size . They get whereothers can’t.

Brittleyak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stomatellas are cool and we’re hitchhikers for me. I’ve only had turbos and astreas intentionally. I always had to right turbos but never the astreas.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus, Nassarius, Cerith, and recently a few Bumblebees.
Love how the Trochus reproduce in my tank - haven't bought any in ages.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back