What are your most peaceful fish?

Chrysus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a long time since I’ve been on the forum and my tank recently crashed hard. I’m upgrading it and restarting it, but I’m hoping to get some inspiration for fish. I’ve done the kind of semi-aggressive clowns/damsels/hawks/puffers etc before and would like to go a different direction this time.

So I’m wondering: Who are the model citizens in your tank? Those that just don’t seem to bother anyone or anything?

I’m aiming for mostly nano fish/up to 4” but I’m interested in what everyone else has had success with and enjoyed in the tank. Small invert safe is a huge bonus.

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangai cardinal, blue reef chromis, radiant wrasse, orange spot goby, Citron clown goby, matted file fish, pajama cardinal

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really!? Never heard of that, guess there's always an exception.
Yeah I was surprised too. However it hasnt gotten to the point of torn fins or anything. My Desarjini Sailfin (boss of the tank) has tried to grab the Foxface a few times by the dorsal fin so IDK. My Blonde Naso is pretty chill though. Just gonna be huge when grown.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One Bangaii cardinal, one firefish, possum wrasse, tailspot blenny and flasher wrasses are some of the most peaceful ive seen.

Yall writing hawkfish and tangs that are peaceful :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Im knowing about the hawkfish when it goes mental. Had a long nose chomp a fire shrimp in 2, lol. Otherwise perfect citizen!

OP
OP
Chrysus

Chrysus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im knowing about the hawkfish when it goes mental. Had a long nose chomp a fire shrimp in 2, lol. Otherwise perfect citizen!
I watched my Flame Hawk attempt to eat my Fire Cleaner (that is pretty much as big as him) today. Thankfully he wasn’t successful and hopefully he doesn’t continue trying lol. He is generally a very good citizen otherwise as well. Stands his ground but doesn’t instigate. My falco seems to be the same.

Interesting to highlight that what may be considered peaceful in one tank would definitely not be in another! Seems like hawks are very well behaved with fish that have a bit of sass, but from all my reading they’re not reliable with the more docile guys.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current inhabitants
2 ocelaris clowns
3 spot domino damsel
3 chromis
1 hawkfish
1 chocolate goby
1 lawnmower
1 6 line wrasse

I recently added a bi colour who was murdered in less than a day. I had 2 suspects. The Hawk and the wrasse

I added the lawnmower. The wrasse harassed it for a few days but the Flamehawk is still chasing him after nearly a week. But it has subsided.

So for me all fish but the Flamehawk.
I had a onespot foxface who used to act as the tank police and get between fighting fish. It's since moved onto a bigger tank. So I have no police.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back