What are zoa morphs?

ZoaLuke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been hearing about morphs a lot when reading about zoas. Are morphs just a change of colour in the zoas, and how does this occur? I also recently bought zoas and the seller told me there were some morphs on the side, these had more of an orange colour middle of the zoa when compared to the rest of the light purple ones, is this morphing?
Thanks,
Luke

zerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are only a few species of Zoanthids that are sold, and probably only a marine biologist can tell them apart. The morph simply refers what they look like. Not sure anyone in the hobby is sexually reproducing zoas, So as they spread they will all look the same. Different morphs mostly come from different parts of the ocean.

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are only a few species of Zoanthids that are sold, and probably only a marine biologist can tell them apart. The morph simply refers what they look like. Not sure anyone in the hobby is sexually reproducing zoas, So as they spread they will all look the same. Different morphs mostly come from different parts of the ocean.
weird... I read somewhere on here that morphs happens when you place 2 zoas next to each other and they can suddenly spring up a new looking polyp. guess this was false?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like more info on this as well, I'd be interesting to know what's really going on, if it's just a DNA mistake passed on to the buds or shortage of certain strains of algae unable to be passed on. I have a few morphs in my tank like this one, half blue half pink. Budded that way and retained it's color.
20200326_183225.jpg

ReefJunkie28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like more info on this as well, I'd be interesting to know what's really going on, if it's just a DNA mistake passed on to the buds or shortage of certain strains of algae unable to be passed on. I have a few morphs in my tank like this one, half blue half pink. Budded that way and retained it's color.
20200326_183225.jpg
perfect example

RimlessReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No just Hands on experience. ... when a zoa morphs it not worth anything.. you have to wait for it to grow a new pylop to return the the original pattern “ look

RimlessReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoa called “ rainbow yoda “ is the most common ... it will go full blue and loose the center patterns of green.. but will return on the new pylops

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoa called “ rainbow yoda “ is the most common ... it will go full blue and loose the center patterns of green.. but will return on the new pylops
OH I see, so to someone like me who isn't interested in fragging them or making money it's a none issue right? Just kind of a cool by product. Or is this some sign we should be concerned about?.

RimlessReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not much to do after you realize
It morphed .. never know when it got effected to do so. Just gotta let it be

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back