What brand of salt do you use???

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having issues with phosphate and I think it may be the NSW that Ive been using. Im going to start mixing my own but before I order a bucket, I want to see what brand people are using. I know Reef Crystals and Instant Ocean are pretty popular, plus Drs F&S have both on sale, so Im leaning 'twards either...

Thanks In Advance...

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the Red Sea phosphate test kit. Relatively inexpensive compared to other test kits, and pretty accurate. I used to use Tropic Marin Pro Reef but it turned out to be a bad batch. I still use NSW thats treated with UV and filtration from my LFS forever and its all perfect levels :) Never dosed a thing.

I think Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals are pretty standard

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think seachem reef is the way to go. Very rich in magnesium/calcium, good alk. No need to bump up your calcium and magnesium like reef crystals (the buckets are still low in magnesium mainly).

OP
OP
Ian

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the Red Sea phosphate test kit. Relatively inexpensive compared to other test kits, and pretty accurate. I used to use Tropic Marin Pro Reef but it turned out to be a bad batch. I still use NSW thats treated with UV and filtration from my LFS forever and its all perfect levels :) Never dosed a thing.

I think Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals are pretty standard

I have a Hanna Meter...

KEEPERZ

TOTM March 08'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was solid tmp then switched to reefcrystals for a couple buckets and just finished my first bucket of coralife-things look good so we shall see

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone tried the new D-D (deltec) salt, my lfs just started stocking it. It is supposed to be top notch, but i havent used it yet.

ConcreteReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Deltec salt, It was on sale so I figured what the heck..
It has the same parameters as Red Sea Coral pro, which I will switch back to after this bucket.

Reef Crystals are ok, Alk & magnesium are usually low so you will have to supplement before doing the water change.

I heard Seachem Reefsalt has tested fairly well considering its price.

Don't waste your money on a Red Sea Phosphate Test- It will not show anything below 0.1 unlike some of the better kits (Elos, LaMotte).
The Cheap kits will always read 0 even though phosphates are still in your system..
If you have Algae, you have phosphates..

OP
OP
Ian

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats strange is, I have absolutely ZERO algae, but my po4 reads 0.1 on a hanna...

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use reefcrystrals so do most and i love it there was a poll on it on this site along with research about which is best and i'm glad i chose reefcrystals originally

Burks

Toledo Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Instant Ocean up until last week. Switched to Red Sea Coral Pro since I got a deal on it, same price as a IO bucket.

We'll see how that works. With IO, I didn't have any issues other than low calcium but I have very few hard corals.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use IO, let the Ca Reactors and Kalk reactor fix the Ca and Alk for you. On a related note, the Sea Chem salts have a LOT of Borate as compared to others. This extra can cause your Alk tests to show more then there actually is.

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not good to try to make up your deficiencies of Ca or Alk with calcium reactors or kalk reactors. It is fine if you are just maintaining your parameters with the calcium/kalk reactors. However increasing you numbers by those means is just asking for trouble.

ConcreteReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not good to try to make up your deficiencies of Ca or Alk with calcium reactors or kalk reactors. It is fine if you are just maintaining your parameters with the calcium/kalk reactors. However increasing you numbers by those means is just asking for trouble.

I agree, Thats why I have been using RSCP & now Deltec..
I've heard Tunze is pretty good, rumors are that it comes from the same factory as RSCP & Deltec.

The one thing I've noticed, after mixing they leave a residue on the side of my container. Never had that problem with RC

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 41 43.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 47 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 6.4%
Back