Votes: 20 21.7%

• Total voters

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote 20K Ushio. I have used MANY bulbs and so far they are my favorite.

ReefDoctor

Just a hobbiest
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radium 20K there is no better :)

OH OH the ballast that a bulb is run on makes as much difference as the bulb itself.. I have seen the exact same bulbs look horrid on weak or underpowered Ballasts yet scream "Gorgeous" on a proper quality Ballast.

SteveOhh

******* Coral Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would switch to SE & run Radiums. However, if you're dead set on staying DE, I'd run a 14k phoenix.

OP
OP
M

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally would switch to se radiums too...but I can't afford that. LOL. I'm stuck with DE. If/when I get a bigger tank I plan on going to either solo tubes or radiums.

I'm thinking the helio's 20k. anybody have a picture with these on their tank?

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're after insane growth, a 10k is the way to go. After about 6 months, you'll get tired of the colors and decide you want something bluer. You may try a 14k, but will quickly realize that the PAR is not so great (unless it is a Phoenix or Aquaconnect). When it is all said and done, you'll finally converge on a Radium 20k SE driven with an HQI ballast or an e-ballast that's adjustable or overdrives the bulb. There really is no going back. Everyone I've ever convinced of this fact has been eternally grateful, and if you want the best of all worlds and the ultimate ability to tweak your color, get one of the adjustible e-ballasts.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see tons of hype about the Radium bulbs. Ill have to try them out I suppose. But, it will be hard to pull me away from the Ushios.

Dejavu

SPS Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radium 20K there is no better :)

OH OH the ballast that a bulb is run on makes as much difference as the bulb itself.. I have seen the exact same bulbs look horrid on weak or underpowered Ballasts yet scream "Gorgeous" on a proper quality Ballast.

Agreed, I think that you need to match ballest and bulb together. If you run 20k radiums on most e-ballest it will look very monochromatic, but on a HQI ballast they look much better. The same goes for 12k reeflux. On an e-ballest the bulbs look great but on any other not so much. Ballest will also play a huge part on bulb life.

ReefDoctor

Just a hobbiest
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're after insane growth, a 10k is the way to go. After about 6 months, you'll get tired of the colors and decide you want something bluer. You may try a 14k, but will quickly realize that the PAR is not so great (unless it is a Phoenix or Aquaconnect). When it is all said and done, you'll finally converge on a Radium 20k SE driven with an HQI ballast or an e-ballast that's adjustable or overdrives the bulb. There really is no going back. Everyone I've ever convinced of this fact has been eternally grateful, and if you want the best of all worlds and the ultimate ability to tweak your color, get one of the adjustible e-ballasts.

Can I get an AMEN Brothas!

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macaw, I am running 20K Helios on my tank. If you are in the area, feel free to stop by. I'll try to get a pic for you once I locate my CF cards.

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250w Helios 20k on Icecap

I apologize for the crappy pics. This is a Helios 20k on an Icecap 250w ballast. If you are familiar w/Jeffs old setup. This is using one of his old pendants.

This pic is with manual white balance on a Point n shoot cam

With Flash

Pic of the Lyng Si frag you might be familiar with.

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used both the XM 20k and the Phoenix 14k and its definitely a matter of opinion. The XM will give you a slight purple color while the Phoenix will give a more bright blue color. Its all a matter of taste. However, for my next bulb purchase, I'll be going with a 150w Radium DE. Just my .02

OP
OP
M

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do they make a 250 watt radium de??? if so, that'd be my option, but otherwise its between the helio 20k, xm 20k, and phoenix 14k. Just not too sure yet.

Back