What cable is needed to connect Reef Octopus Varios pumps to Apex?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taken from the BRS website: "ICECAP cable: Compatible with Gyre Interface Modules, VarioS Controllers, and more. The 6.5 foot Y Module cable lets you connect two VarioS pump controllers or Gyre Interface Modules directly to a 0-10v controller like the Neptune Apex Controller."

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so question on this -

what is the purpose of connecting the varios pumps to the apex? i guess i am looking to understand the benefits so i can use them - i have the cable.

my varios are connected to the apex powersupply. If i need them off - i can do that through fusion. Since they are return pumps - essentially on or off is what i would need them to do.

One thing i WOULD have liked - would be to increase the intensity of the pump through the app as needed - (not scheduled) - and i dont think thats doable. is it?

thoughts?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so question on this -

what is the purpose of connecting the varios pumps to the apex? i guess i am looking to understand the benefits so i can use them - i have the cable.

my varios are connected to the apex powersupply. If i need them off - i can do that through fusion. Since they are return pumps - essentially on or off is what i would need them to do.

One thing i WOULD have liked - would be to increase the intensity of the pump through the app as needed - (not scheduled) - and i dont think thats doable. is it?

thoughts?

Connecting the pump to the Apex via the 0-10v ports would allow you to increase or decrease the flow. Think about it like how you'd program a Kessil LED fixture through the Apex. You can have it ramp up during certain portions of the day and then ramp down during others. For example, you may choose to have your flow decrease at night, but then speed up at a certain point during the day.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so question on this -

In addition to @Bulk Reef Supply response, another reason someone might want want 0-10v control of their DC return pump is to have the ability to increase power and flow as the pump gets dirty overtime.

So, although it may not be the most ideal maintenance rhythm approach.... if you had a flow meter installed and saw that it was losing flow GPH over time (most likely indicating reduced performance from the pump being dirty), you could simply increase the flow until you were back in that operating sweet spot.

The same could be used when operating without a flow meter and using power monitoring instead, where again less and less wattage consumption could indicate a dirty pump and you simply increase the speed to account for the loss until you can service it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back