What can "brown" do for you? A lot, actually! The UC "Ugliest Coral Contest is BACK!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll play along. Here is my Stag. Under 1x Radion peaking at 75%. It is incredibly happy and growing pretty fast for a stag (has grown almost 1.5" on the tips with new tips growing). Can't see it in the picture, but it is entrusting in the back. Here ya go!

Here is the other surrounding corals along with it:
1389996841386.jpg

Here it is zoomed/cropped:
1389996886695.jpg

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man where to start. This piece is like my holy grail haha, I went to the beach and decided to walk into a LFS and it was the first piece of coral I saw. I fell in love with it, it was a gorgeous blue pectinia with a green rim and yellow eyes. I had never loved a coral so much, it was 175, I had never even thought of paying that much for a coral but man was it pretty. It was so hard to walk out of the store that day with out the pectinia. A whole month passed and I couldn't get the piece out of my head. Finally I broke, I called the store to see if he still had it in, they said yes. So I left immediately and made the two hour drive to the store. Man was I excited, I must have been going 100 miles per hour. As soon as I got to the store it was bagged and ready to go, I couldn't wait to get home and put it in my tank. I dip it and acclimated it for an hour, I was gonna take my time with this coral because it was gonna be the prized jewel of my reef tank. Everyday I walked by my tank I looked at it, I could almost say it made my day looking at it. After about a month things took a turn for the worst it began to loose its green rim, it didn't look as blue and the hello began to dull. I kept telling myself no, its just me. It can't be loosing coral, I kept telling myself that until it was so brown that it looked red. I was so saddened by the it and every time I walked by it, it was a reminder that I had failed. I got a new tank and when it came time to pick the corals I was gonna transfer I couldn't get myself to give it away or sell it. I was determined to bring it back. Well after about a month in the new tank it began to look some what blue and you could see the paling of the eyes I was so excited but its been this color for about 4 months now, Ive had the pectin for about a year now and I still can not get myself to give it away or sell it. I am still determined to bring the color back. Now let me introduce you to the LE Sprinkled Purple Turd Pectinia

Wow! Plus points for the story! Pectinia are pretty cool, but a BROWN one is too cool, really...LOL

Well done!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll play along. Here is my Stag. Under 1x Radion peaking at 75%. It is incredibly happy and growing pretty fast for a stag (has grown almost 1.5" on the tips with new tips growing). Can't see it in the picture, but it is entrusting in the back. Here ya go!

Here is the other surrounding corals along with it:
1389996841386.jpg

Here it is zoomed/cropped:
1389996886695.jpg

Oh, another deduction for a nice aquascape, but you rallied strongly with the stag...That's a very, um, nice- stag...Strong entry!

-Scott

impur

GO DUCKS!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 SPS that will not color up. I have had them both for over 5 years and have tried all the lighting options we have available in the hobby. These just won't color up. Now if I take a frag off of either one, it will color up in about 3 weeks.

July 2013
IMG_4710_zps8f3d56d2.jpg

Nov 2013 This is the best it has ever looked
20131121_172831_zps82b6da9f.jpg

July 2013
IMG_4714_zps14a88a96.jpg

Nov 2013
20131121_172820_zps4e091f19.jpg

I don't take many pics of them cuz they are so ugly lol

Last edited:

RiverRat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ugly coral submission is going to be the first coral I ever purchased. My little frag of Radioactive Dragon eyes.
I saw this little guy in the store and couldn't take my eyes off of it. I had been thinking about buying coral for quite some time and all the advice I had heard was start with a zoa. So, I bought it. It was the bright green beauty that would certainly brighten up my tank.

A little time goes by and I start to experiment with lighting. My dragon eyes began to change, I was so excited, it was like I was one of the pros "creating a morph".
There was a time when my dragon eyes changed, so the center was the shape of a bright green star.......but I got greedy.
They continued to change into what they are today, a mass of brown polyps with the slightest of green on the skirt.

I have tried to change them back over time, but my efforts have been in vein.
So, today I enjoy my mass of brown.........the coral that started my adventure in reefing holds a special spot in my heart and my tank.....that spot just happens to be towards the back of the display now :)

100_0731.jpg

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No special story. This is a hitchhiker from Vanuatu rock. It started out as a little furry dot. It's 2 1/2 years old now and has had its ups and downs. Found out it doesn't like real bright light. I'll show it off to a visitor - "And, look at this one", I'll say proudly. I usually get "Uhh", and they'll quickly look at something else. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes it's a real dark brown and my wife (who names everything) calls it Chocalate Chip.

iphone 014.jpg

Linderman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the "golden" coral in my tank. I like to peruse my local LFS for any cool new corals and one day I was there one of the workers saw me looking and offered "We have a brain coral that was burned during shipment, would give you a discount on it." I couldn't resist a deal, and thinking I could nurse it back to health, I took the deal and the brain coral. It had bleach marks and looked in pretty bad shape when I got it home. Well, several months later, it is as happy as can be in my tank: regularly puffs up, comes out, bleach marks are gone, everything is great. Except the color. No matter what I do, it refuses to be anything other then a "Golden" brain coral. I'm still holding out for a designer color pattern :)

BrownCoral-1_zpse9bed99b.jpg

daniel16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought:

114302d1388116570-daniels-125g-mixed-reef-tank-f-d2069-29-blue-green-acropora_small.jpg

Received:

119602d1390091285-daniels-125g-mixed-reef-tank-photo-1-3-.jpg

In fairness to the vendor, their photo is top down and it does look a lot better top down...But definitely not like their photo

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Superman Monti I've had for about 7 months. Been this way since about a month after I got it, hope it colors back up when I get the new tank set up.
superman.jpg

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want ugly? I got ugly for you :) Here is an acropora abrotanoides that I had for over a year. I called it the "Hulks Junk". I generally stay away from thick corals, especially corals with a reputation for being as difficult as an abrotanoides. It was on sale at a LFS for $20 so I gave it a shot. I actually kept good color for around 6 months, but after a cyano remover dose, it lost all the green and went tan on me. For the last 8 month I have kept this coral and it has been dormant, until recently. I transferred my previous 60 gallon into a new 115g custom cube 10 weeks ago. The abrotanoides liked the new tank and showed some better pe and more of a turd brown instead of a tan brown. It looked healthier and actually started showing small growth nubs. Ironically I just got rid of it today. I couldn't stand looking at it anymore, and I need the real estate for a shortcake :)

Recent Pic (Don't stare too long)

IMG_7355 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Early pic shortly after purchase

IMG_3676 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Several months down the road

IMG_4908 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Last edited:

Daimyo68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess these would be my "uglies". I've had them all since frags over the last couple years, tried high/med/low lighting, and they show hints of color now and then, so in keep them in hopes that they will completely color up one day

Unknown acropora (Been this color since the day I got the frag)
DSC02665_zps7a0010d5.jpg

Pink Millipora
DSC02700_zpsabc5eb3e.jpg

ORA Rose Millipora
DSC02714_zps266744b6.jpg

Scripps Acro
DSC02881_zps6188be11.jpg

myownlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20140118_220127_885.jpg
IMG_20140118_220137_303.jpg

First pic is the first coral I ever put in my reef. was free from a friend. the second are star polyps that are trying to take over my reef. they came with my live rock. I was new and thought any growth was cool now there are tons of these things. Started with like 5 polys

Rexster20002000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chalice shown above is my " ugly coral" ... Over the years...myself and a fellow reefer friend of mine have always looked for that needle in the hay stack. With pretty good success!! Now my chalice is not brown(as I feel that can be many other reasons for the brown color as a fellow reefer has stated) I feel this one is the ugly duck in my reef. I have had for over a year. It has grown and even tease me with orange eyes time to time. I've tried in all sorts of light and flow. I have since moved it an area in the tank where it can grow, be heathy and i can continue to hope the best is yet to come! Thank you :)

blufin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the only one i've got(wanted to play lol) and its a white out. no idea what happened to this beauty. whether i add to much carbon, gfo, or had a alk swing this guy went from this to that and as been for the last 2 months. the funny thing is when i would fed the tank reef roids or fauna marin ultra i could see the tentacles expand and close up and feast.
before acans
IMG_9080_zps69d6303f.jpg

now acans bottom right
IMG_9140_zps95151dee.jpg

These definitely aren't happy, but I think they look pretty cool. Without a doubt they are unique; translucent and lime green.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 SPS that will not color up. I have had them both for over 5 years and have tried all the lighting options we have available in the hobby. These just won't color up. Now if I take a frag off of either one, it will color up in about 3 weeks.

July 2013
IMG_4710_zps8f3d56d2.jpg

Nov 2013 This is the best it has ever looked
20131121_172831_zps82b6da9f.jpg

July 2013
IMG_4714_zps14a88a96.jpg

Nov 2013
20131121_172820_zps4e091f19.jpg

I don't take many pics of them cuz they are so ugly lol

Fantastically documented progression of your coral's journey from ordinary to..."golden." Amazing work!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ugly coral submission is going to be the first coral I ever purchased. My little frag of Radioactive Dragon eyes.
I saw this little guy in the store and couldn't take my eyes off of it. I had been thinking about buying coral for quite some time and all the advice I had heard was start with a zoa. So, I bought it. It was the bright green beauty that would certainly brighten up my tank.

A little time goes by and I start to experiment with lighting. My dragon eyes began to change, I was so excited, it was like I was one of the pros "creating a morph".
There was a time when my dragon eyes changed, so the center was the shape of a bright green star.......but I got greedy.
They continued to change into what they are today, a mass of brown polyps with the slightest of green on the skirt.

I have tried to change them back over time, but my efforts have been in vein.
So, today I enjoy my mass of brown.........the coral that started my adventure in reefing holds a special spot in my heart and my tank.....that spot just happens to be towards the back of the display now :)

100_0731.jpg

I'd say that the "half life" of your Radioactives has...expired...looking great!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 85.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back