What can/can’t I dose via ATO?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So..... Before the pitchforks come out, I don’t test (at least I haven’t since my tank has been up)

I put Kalkwasser in my ATO water.... no idea if it’s doing anything, but I also add Reef Fuel, and Calcium supplement from whatever company makes the reef fuel. I also dose Acropower about once a week.

I know the reef fuel says to keep refrigerated...... Can any/all 3 of these be just added to my ATO water (or AWC water once that is set up) with or without a powerhead in the reservoir?

I was going to just make a judgement call based on how long it takes my 35g ATO reservoir to empty vs how often/how much fuel/acropower/Ca I have been dosing.

Thoughts?

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It wouldn’t necessarily be any heavier dosing...... It’s all based on how much of each I dilute in the reservoir.

This is only true if the rate of evaporation in your system is constant. Which is highly unlikely.

Since you don't test, I assume you don't care about concentration swings in your system (and they are happening whether you care/test or not) - but perhaps the acute interactions that the chemicals you want to add, will have with the chemicals you already have, in your top-off.....

For this i would consult Dr. Holmes-Farley in the chemistry forum.

:)

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only true if your these chemicals, (or any of the others you are dosing) if the rate of evaporation in your system is constant. Which is highly unlikely.

Since you don't test, i assume you don't care about concentration swings in your system - but perhaps the acute interactions that the chemicals you want to add, will have with the chemicals you already have in your top-off.....

For this i would consult Dr. Holmes-Farley in the chemistry forum.

:)

I just never add “a lot” of anything....... Everything has remained happy. I would test if things started to look bad, just has never happened. I do regular, large-ish water changes, so that may be why. I haven’t noticed any accelerated growth, coloration, etc, but I have seen no negative impacts either.

Mostly I have had nice growth, and many poor looking frags I have acquired have rebounded etc..... I guess not dosing at all is an option too, I have been using these three products more or less hopeful that they are providing increased growth/color that I’m just not noticing.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be afraid of Kalk & Reef fuel in ATO, but the Cal supplement might cause precipitation mixed w/Kalk. "consult Dr. Holmes-Farley in the chemistry forum"

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just never add “a lot” of anything....... Everything has remained happy. I would test if things started to look bad, just has never happened. I do regular, large-ish water changes, so that may be why. I haven’t noticed any accelerated growth, coloration, etc, but I have seen no negative impacts either.

Mostly I have had nice growth, and many poor looking frags I have acquired have rebounded etc..... I guess not dosing at all is an option too, I have been using these three products more or less hopeful that they are providing increased growth/color that I’m just not noticing.

Understood, and this makes sense if you are dosing weak concentrations. I'm an engineer and cringe at the thought of dosing without measuring (or a detailed understanding of the outcome).... :)

Alas, neither of these things are required for success - although i might argue that they contribute to the "easiest path to success".

Either way, the folks in the chemistry forum could probably get you your answers.

Happy Reefing

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back