What can I do to promote beneficial bacteria?

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious - based on 'what'? Part of my question relates to what is 'bacterial diversity?'. Part of it relates to the fact that nothing prevents 'bacterial diversity' - except competition from the surrounding bacteria.

FYi - i do not think its correct that bacteria diversity (i.e. the more species the better) is true
Why wouldn't it? There are more beneficial bacteria in our tanks than just nitrifying types.

Isn't that why live rock is so much more beneficial, because or the biodiversity that is already embedded that we aren't waiting years for with dry rock?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your aim needs to be getting rid of it altogether and keeping it in a permanent resting state.

Dino gets triggered to bloom when there are shifts in nutrient levels and typically always when the shift is to nutrients bottoming out.

If you have already gotten rid of the visible Dino then maintaining appropriate nutrient levels (Above non-measurable levels, or slightly higher than that) will keep it resting as long as these levels remain relatively stable and don’t bottom out.

If it’s still popping up then it’s not in a resting state and needs to be addressed.
Interesting - I think this is true - I unexpectedly found my nitrates were >100. I did several water changes - now 10 - but Dino invasion....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why wouldn't it? There are more beneficial bacteria in our tanks than just nitrifying types.

Isn't that why live rock is so much more beneficial, because or the biodiversity that is already embedded that we aren't waiting years for with dry rock?
Hmmmm.... What are 'beneficial bacteria'? The ones the keep your tank looking 'good'? I guess the question is beneficial to 'what'? This is such a broad question - its not answerable. But - I will say - with complete certainty - you can't create 'beneficial bacteria' - firstly - there is no definition, secondly - the bacteria that have 'taken over' your tank - are unlikely to relinquish their territory. Products claim to provide 'beneficial bacteria'. In reality - all bacteria is beneficial - in their own niche.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I also meant to say - you didnt answer my question - why?

Secondly - if you take 'dead rock' and put it in the ocean or an aquarium for a month or 2 - it's now 'live rock'. The debate here notwithstanding - I think 'live rock' vs 'dead rock' is a debate. not worth having - mostly because (to me) - it makes no difference.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not sure what the name of the bacteria is but the one that lives on the surface of the rocks and sand is what I need.

Depending on the place - lots of bacteria live on the surface of the rock - I assume you're talking about nitrifying bacteria - if so - I would try - 'Fritz Turbo 900

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve been waiting years for this dry rock to mature. I’ve seen the best improvement in the last few months with micro bubble scrubbing.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big ball of cheato in sump and NO filter socks, let nature do it's thing.

I followed all the prescribed methods, socks, carbon, GFO etc... Then a fellow reefer said try the "hybrid Trident method". Zero to no water changes, no socks, skimmer (dry skim) and dose Alk and Calcium (and the occassional Mag) after about 3 mos both tanks coral growth took off. Fish & nems got better color and growth. Keep feeding simple - pellets twice a day via auto feeders and frozen shrimp & littleneck clams as "Sunday Brunch". The biggest thing keep your hands out of tank as much as possible.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been waiting years for this dry rock to mature. I’ve seen the best improvement in the last few months with micro bubble scrubbing.

@brandon429. I tagged him - because he probably 'knows' a lot more about this than I - but IMO its impossible that you have been waiting for years. It doesnt' make sense. This is not designed as an insult - but more a question - what have you done for years?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting - I think this is true - I unexpectedly found my nitrates were >100. I did several water changes - now 10 - but Dino invasion....

When they are in their resting state substantial nutrient shifts will trigger them to awaken (not sure of the proper term to use here).

I wish we had more info on them.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm.... What are 'beneficial bacteria'? The ones the keep your tank looking 'good'? I guess the question is beneficial to 'what'? This is such a broad question - its not answerable. But - I will say - with complete certainty - you can't create 'beneficial bacteria' - firstly - there is no definition, secondly - the bacteria that have 'taken over' your tank - are unlikely to relinquish their territory. Products claim to provide 'beneficial bacteria'. In reality - all bacteria is beneficial - in their own niche.
So you're saying that nobody, anywhere can cultivate bacterial strains of any kind or sort?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're saying that nobody, anywhere can cultivate bacterial strains of any kind or sort?

I think he’s getting to the point that bacteria will scale to fit whatever is being delivered to them and also the space and substrate they can inhabit. Having more bacteria than ammonia you can deliver doesn’t do much good.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find increasing the biodiversity of the entire hierarchy of your tank far more beneficial than just the bacteria.

There is really only a lot of nitrifying bacteria, different strains, same outcome. There are some microbes that vendors claim can consume phosphates and nitrates, I think these may be exaggerated claims.

Instead, creating a multi-layered hierarchy to address nuisance issues at each step is not only something you can visibly see but has a larger impact.

So you start with your bacteria and maybe add microbacter if you think it helps.

Then add phyto plankton, the very building block of the ocean.

Then add copepods, tigers, Rotifers, tisbes, etc.

Then add amphipods.

Then add worms.

Then mini stars,

Then mini hermits

Add shrimp

Add herbivore fish

Add Carnivore fish

Add planktivores

That’s the best way to establish biodiversity imo

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429. I tagged him - because he probably 'knows' a lot more about this than I - but IMO its impossible that you have been waiting for years. It doesnt' make sense. This is not designed as an insult - but more a question - what have you done for years?
Well for the first 4 years I never knew about reef2reef and thought Dino was just algae boy was I wrong!!! So with some bad advice from petco I ran GFO and everything else I could to remove phosphate. Since around the first of this year I found reef2reef and added a DSB refugium with macros and live sand activator from Hawaii no skimmer, I was running a roller mat filter till I started the bacteria method for Dino and haven’t filtered anything since. About two months ago I added sand back to DT.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t touched the sand in refuge and is looking good but the sand in DT is already full of junk and turning green. I’ve stirred the sand in DT daily since I put it in.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back