What can replace my aqualifter???

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So today, my aqualifter failed and caused my hang on the back overflow to stop the siphon and as a result my tank flooded. I've had this issue with qualifiers being unreliable so I am looking for a replacement or alternative to using them on my overflow.
I appreciate any ideas or suggestions on alternatives.
Thanks

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cannot drill your tank or replace your tank with one that is drilled, then I would get a Lifereef Overflow, I would also get a DC pump or a pump hooked up to a float switch, using a Lifereef overflow you need a powerful pump that moves a lot of water, he claims no but I say yes, and yes I have one.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab a maxijet powerhead and drill a hole in the inlet tube just big enough to accept the overflow airline tube. Place the maxijet in your display next to the overflow box. Run that tube to your overflow airline port and turn the pump on. The maxijet inlet will create a venturi effect which will continually apply a siphon on the airline tube and as a result, the overflow as well. As a bonus, your tank will get a little bit more flow from the powerhead outlet.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Time to upgrade.
Never heard anyone having a issue with Life Reef overflows, or drilled tanks.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you cannot drill your tank or replace your tank with one that is drilled, then I would get a Lifereef Overflow, I would also get a DC pump or a pump hooked up to a float switch, using a Lifereef overflow you need a powerful pump that moves a lot of water, he claims no but I say yes, and yes I have one.
Thanks I'll look into it.

Grab a maxijet powerhead and drill a hole in the inlet tube just big enough to accept the overflow airline tube. Place the maxijet in your display next to the overflow box. Run that tube to your overflow airline port and turn the pump on. The maxijet inlet will create a venturi effect which will continually apply a siphon on the airline tube and as a result, the overflow as well. As a bonus, your tank will get a little bit more flow from the powerhead outlet.
Thank you, do you have a picture of how to run it?

Time to upgrade.
Never heard anyone having a issue with Life Reef overflows, or drilled tanks.
Yea, I have been thinking about upgrading the tank. It's an old tank, maybe it's time for something new :)

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I'll look into it.

Thank you, do you have a picture of how to run it?

Yea, I have been thinking about upgrading the tank. It's an old tank, maybe it's time for something new :)
Technically, you can run a siphon tube off of either the inlet or outlet of a powerhead because they’ll both act as a venturi. Maxijets come with a venturi adapter. Note the black airline hose. This will connect directly to your overflow box siphon port. You’ll need a longer hose of course.

B1030199-6673-420B-ADB5-E63E4434CBCF.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back