What can touch sebae anemones?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank that is becoming sps/clam dominated.

I purchased a Sebae anemone a few weeks ago (I QTed it with cipro) because they stay on the sandbed and my clarkiis get hosted by them.

Pics:
79917304-EAFD-44EC-990C-64BFF8B7C8E3.jpeg
4E31EDCC-7BEA-4425-A65B-3C1EA92EE0B8.jpeg

So I wanted to know if there are any corals that are resistant to Sebae anemone stings? Do I need to leave the rocks beside the nem bare? Just curious. Thanks.

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your anemone looks great, mine looked just like it when I first got it, but was much smaller. I wouldn't place any coral near it. Mine has killed a couple of corals over the years, during a very rare "walkabout" (it eventually returned to its original location). The anemone in my tank has lived there for 20 years as of next month. The corals were placed fairly far away several years ago, and have since grown right up next to the anemone. It does touch them but is apparently not stinging them very often. Maybe they tolerate each other since they gradually came into contact with one another, but I really have no idea. Good luck with yours.

IMG_1901.jpg

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a tank that is becoming sps/clam dominated.

I purchased a Sebae anemone a few weeks ago (I QTed it with cipro) because they stay on the sandbed and my clarkiis get hosted by them.

Pics:
79917304-EAFD-44EC-990C-64BFF8B7C8E3.jpeg
4E31EDCC-7BEA-4425-A65B-3C1EA92EE0B8.jpeg

So I wanted to know if there are any corals that are resistant to Sebae anemone stings? Do I need to leave the rocks beside the nem bare? Just curious. Thanks.
Do I have to worry about fish? My filefish keeps on trying to pick at the anemone tentacles! Don’t know how to wad him off :/

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, good luck with your Sebae. I have found them to be easy to keep. I wouldn't be so sure it will stay on the sand, mine is in the rockwork, but his trunk extends down deep and may or may not go into the sand. But when they are happy they seem to stay put. As far as I can remember, mine has not taken any healthy fish. I don't feed it much, just whatever it catches when I feed the tank (broadcast spray of frozen foods from baster). I will occasionally spray some directly into the anemone. I did feed it more several years ago and it got HUGE, it is a much more manageable size now, about half of what it was 10 years ago. Size comparison below.
august FTS 010.jpg

August 2011

IMG_1158.JPEG

March 2022

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, good luck with your Sebae. I have found them to be easy to keep. I wouldn't be so sure it will stay on the sand, mine is in the rockwork, but his trunk extends down deep and may or may not go into the sand. But when they are happy they seem to stay put. As far as I can remember, mine has not taken any healthy fish. I don't feed it much, just whatever it catches when I feed the tank (broadcast spray of frozen foods from baster). I will occasionally spray some directly into the anemone. I did feed it more several years ago and it got HUGE, it is a much more manageable size now, about half of what it was 10 years ago. Size comparison below.
august FTS 010.jpg

August 2011

IMG_1158.JPEG

March 2022
Beautiful!!!

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
These are stunning specimens
What size tanks are these in? My LFS has some really pretty, small ones (4" diameter) that I was considering for either my 55 or 110 once I get rid of all the bubble tips.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back