What characteristics do you look for in acros

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look for any hints of color on the skin that's not green and also any unique or different color in the polyps that doesn't match the color of the skin. Buying browned out corals is a fun game that can be very rewarding. I picked out a brown bushy mari that seemed to possibly show a tinge of red and now it's likely one of my favorite acro colonies! Turned into a beautiful pink tabling coral.
8da3c56097caa9443ed0fc25e6e5f1fa.jpg

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread topic mate, i will get things going.

These are frags from frags from wild collected branches. They original pieces came out of the ocean about 18 months before these were released for sale. They are grown under shaded sun in outdoor tubs in Cairns Qld with large NSW water changes often - they are basically wild colored but proven tank hardy to a large degree. From experience i know some will remain similar colored but some will alter drastically just as occurs frequently with fresh collected wild acros.

6_zpsdfgpahtc.jpg

Two of the circled frags are stunners after they settle for a couple of months. Two are just nice at best. One you would never touch unless you have rocks in your head. I have two of these acros but from a shipment a month earlier than the one pictured.

I'm giving you the $65- to go to the store and buy yourself the same frag as this one - just don't screw it up because i will go right off the deep end if you bring back magic green acro beans instead of the insane blue frag i asked for...............

y1_zpsjkui5efr.jpg
2 and 4 would probably be my picks

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this one up a few weeks ago. Its my first maricultured colony. Hopefully it develops into something cool. Wish this thread was around before going to look. He had about 30 mini colonies and it was really hard to choose. It is a slightly pink with hints of blue and green growth tips with white polyps
20170719_193803.jpg

Biggles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this one up a few weeks ago. Its my first maricultured colony. Hopefully it develops into something cool. Wish this thread was around before going to look. He had about 30 mini colonies and it was really hard to choose. It is a slightly pink with hints of blue and green growth tips with white polyps
20170719_193803.jpg

The pink is pale red and will be purple once your lighting brings out the blue pigments. It is the same base color that fireworks has and is as good as it gets for a clean purple. By clean i mean not dirty purple which is what all tri color purples are, it will look wax crayon purple. The tips will be very blue with fluoro green axial tips and fluor0 green polyps - think tri color polyps.

I know this because i white balanced your pic and then ramped up the saturation etc so you can see the colors that are so faded and pale they won't be visible to your eyes yet. I recognize all the pigments in your piece but i've never seen them together like on your colony. You picked out something much prettier than you thought you did - i'm very jealous :)

2_zpscapfw2eq.jpg

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few before, during and after picks of a save.

edd0a0b17c95f6060fcf451a32401a6a.jpg

This is when I first picked it up... got a good deal and you can see why.

fd85993858af39f91e6ffb702f7a7377.jpg

043e1f32bb30edb32a8163884e94b2ff.jpg

During recovery about 1 month in.

9a4c461cb05a35acda08bdabfaee3e10.jpg

Recovered [emoji4]

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pink is pale red and will be purple once your lighting brings out the blue pigments. It is the same base color that fireworks has and is as good as it gets for a clean purple. By clean i mean not dirty purple which is what all tri color purples are, it will look wax crayon purple. The tips will be very blue with fluoro green axial tips and fluor0 green polyps - think tri color polyps.

I know this because i white balanced your pic and then ramped up the saturation etc so you can see the colors that are so faded and pale they won't be visible to your eyes yet. I recognize all the pigments in your piece but i've never seen them together like on your colony. You picked out something much prettier than you thought you did - i'm very jealous :)

2_zpscapfw2eq.jpg
Wow! Now to be patient and let it develop. Thanks!

Luis Figueroa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you purchase maricultured acros, can they be added to your main system or a frag tank? the color on your frag is amazing!
20170719_193803.jpg

2_zpscapfw2eq.jpg

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biggles - How do you handle pests for maricultured acros like AEFW , red /black all color bugs.
The one reason I stay away from maricultured pieces is pests. I don't have QT system space for corals and anyways not all pests can be killed by dips.
Ideally I would love to acquire maricultured or wilds and QT them for a few months and watch out for pests before introduction to main tank .

Regards,
Abhishek

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biggles - How do you handle pests for maricultured acros like AEFW , red /black all color bugs.
The one reason I stay away from maricultured pieces is pests. I don't have QT system space for corals and anyways not all pests can be killed by dips.
Ideally I would love to acquire maricultured or wilds and QT them for a few months and watch out for pests before introduction to main tank .

Regards,
Abhishek
You have to have a pretty strict QT process for them. I have a totally separate system that maricultured and wild pieces go into and are dipped multiple times over 2-3 weeks, and inspected daily for things like eggs, pests, etc.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to have a pretty strict QT process for them. I have a totally separate system that maricultured and wild pieces go into and are dipped multiple times over 2-3 weeks, and inspected daily for things like eggs, pests, etc.

Thats exactly why I don't buy maricultured / wild pieces. I have been burnt in the past like 7 years back where I simply watched my beloved colonies slowly being eaten away by AEFW and couldn't do anything about it. Ended up throwing away everything except for lights and my tunze pumps .
Until I can setup QT systems, I am really scared to death to try them again.

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
Hausser

Hausser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maricultured piece I just got was dipped multiple times. I had shop cut off the base and then glued to a frag plug. I also super glued the bottom of the coral in case of eggs even though I didn't see any. Most eggs are laid on the base so by cutting it off you should be good. I also keep my eye on it. In the past I have also been bitten by pests but that was my fault for not dipping and removing from the base. You can get pests from any coral no matter if maricultured or wild or grown in a vendors tank. I have seen a lot of LFS with bugs.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love searching the bargain bin at my LFS for browned-out cheapies to rehab. I look for hints of color and growth patterns to get an idea of what it MIGHT look like grown out...only time will tell though :)

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maricultured piece I just got was dipped multiple times. I had shop cut off the base and then glued to a frag plug. I also super glued the bottom of the coral in case of eggs even though I didn't see any. Most eggs are laid on the base so by cutting it off you should be good. I also keep my eye on it. In the past I have also been bitten by pests but that was my fault for not dipping and removing from the base. You can get pests from any coral no matter if maricultured or wild or grown in a vendors tank. I have seen a lot of LFS with bugs.

I used to get maricultured pieces from LFS and even after dipping they made through to the DT. They were the sole reason I got out of hobby for 6 years. Now a days, I buy only aquacultured from a couple of people/vendor only that i know for sure has the strictest QT and not even a single one can make through. I still double dip any frags for the first week but am not scared to toss a piece or 2 if I find any hint of pests .
Once you have a tank ending experience , you wont mind tossing a few to save your tank.

Regards,
Abhishek

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thats exactly why I don't buy maricultured / wild pieces. I have been burnt in the past like 7 years back where I simply watched my beloved colonies slowly being eaten away by AEFW and couldn't do anything about it. Ended up throwing away everything except for lights and my tunze pumps .
Until I can setup QT systems, I am really scared to death to try them again.

Regards,
Abhishek
So I got reds from a Mari and now the rack all has em. Not my 3 other racks so I take they only crawl and if I were 2 remove em and QT with interceptor. Will removing them and 3 day QT kill all eggs or any here n a corner rack and not touching rocks. And don't want interceptor my tank for pods and all. Thx

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you purchase maricultured acros, can they be added to your main system or a frag tank? the color on your frag is amazing!
Thank you!! Mine came with 2 acro crabs, removed them, dipped the colony and put them back on and into the display. Hopefully i don't get burned but i'm thinking the crabs will keep it clean. I also have a melanurus wrasse for help with pest control.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a couple frags from a local LFS a few weeks back, I don't know the origin, but they were healthy. Although, both are green. I bought in hopes they will turn into something other than green. I'm sure I'll end up with just green though. :)

GXPKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally one of my great enjoyment is watching mariculture colonies color up, just picked up 5 more Reef Raft Asia colonies today actually. I don't even mind green so long as it has a lot of other colors going on...terrible pics but here are some I got today...first being a "Walt disney" tenius mariculture. Regardless, they all are multicolored beauties....once again sorry for the aweful phone pics and all the blue, acclimating them.
Fair enough, i will leave with a few tips just on say echi's.

If it looks like the one bottom right in the pic above it is classic white/blue icefire, if you want that classic look then the branch skin should look tan brown if it's really poopy but that will go fast under your lighting. Most icefire echis are actually tan brown and blue in the ocean. If you look at the echi branch and instead of a clear tan/brown hue you see a rusty reddish hue then you are looking at an echi that will likely turn solid blue or close to it. The rusty browny red pigment is usually dark even when the acro is stressed. The blue will look like it could almost be purple on all blue echi's when fresh collected but it means the blue will be very intense and deep rather than pastel like on the tan branched versions.
If you see any echi that looks teal skinned or green in any way whatsoever on the branch skin buy it above any other blue echi - it will blow away every other echi you've ever laid eyes on trust me.

Hope that helps if you're chasing an echi in the shipment. :)

20170808_202557.jpg

20170808_202402.jpg

20170808_202358.jpg
20170808_202356.jpg
20170808_202235.jpg

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

2_zpscapfw2eq.jpg

I wish I knew how to do this. This would make buying pieces so much easier. Like from AQUASD, etc who have great prices on colonies.

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually considering offering cheap brown frag packs to people that want them. It seems there is a market for them, and if it only costs them about $10 a frag it's a pretty cheap gamble. I actually think this might be the next "hot" thing in SPS. I think people like the excitement of seeing what it might become someday.
I love brownies, but, how are you going to provide all those brownies... Are you going to make them brown? What will be your source?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back