What content is in your fish food. Does it matter?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Often we see fish arrive at LFS thin, or we see tangs with HLLE and even fish losing weight while they feed well in your system. I attended a seminar which discussed fish nutrition a few weeks ago. Some interesting items were presented. Many believe if the fish eats, its satisfied and getting what it needs. Truth is, many fish have requirements often not met. There are carnivores, herbivores and other classifications that convert their foods into energy. So, using the word content, what is it that makes a good fish food and what can we add to assure the fish are getting what they need to prevent disorders?
Years ago, we depended on live foods. In the ocean there is plenty of phytoplankton which maintains the metabolism of many fish and mammals within. It is difficult for us to replicate this feeding regimen for captive fish but we have access to many live and frozen foods today which offer nourishment.
If available, best choice is zooplankton. Some foods that are often overlooked are copepods and other size pods which are high in value and nutrition. They actually contain vitamins, minerals and acids fish much require.
Rotifiers while small are great starter foods for baby fish such as cardinals, clowns and more . Mysis which has become more popular have a high protein level but lack vitamins and should be basted with selcon or similar vitamins.
Most popular and around for years is Brine shrimp. They are the easiest to find, easiest to feed and lowest in cost and best foods for enticing finicky feeders. There has been controversy as to the nutritional content of brine shrimp. What many reefers miss out on is standing water during the summer and overlooking mosquito wigglers often dancing around in bird bath and containers however they consume contaminants and can be a risk. Same with red bloodworms that dont digest easily.
Lastly is blackworms. They dont survive long in seawater and can fouls tanks but if eaten are nutritious.
Frozen foods. . . . . They are now available in every form of live foods, prepared diets and specialty diets like angel formula, carnivore blend, etc. Its easy to find, nutritious, easy to serve and portion. So, how do we know frozen food is fresh and not spoiled? Should be consistent and not turning white or dark or have a weird odor. Rotten frozen food is often still consumed by our inhabitants but can cause intestinal, toxicity and other issues, even death.

Then comes dried foods such as pellets and flakes often offered by a high percentile of reefers/fish owners. Flake has been around for decades as with now pelleted forms of foods which are heated and pressed into dies for shape and bonding made from raw materials. The heat helps retain carbs, starches and additives. Pellets contain more fat than flake foods but can be harder for some fish to digest.
Good foods contain all the vitamins, aminos, fatty acids, meats and plant based minerals to meet their nutritional needs. Does enrichment of foods make a difference?
They contain lipids which should be kept cool to maintain their useful life and lose their strength due to heat and oxygen. Garlic is supportive but not essential. Many believe garlic will sustain fish health as it contains vitamin a-b-c-k and potassium, but it does support immunity system but can also be overdosed. Vitamins are essential as a deficiency of such can weaken growth, vitality and affect muscle and tissue mass. Too much vitamins and aminos at times can lead to health issues including disease.

What foods do you feed and why do you choose the foods that you currently feed?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hikari Brine Shrimp
PE Mysis, PE Mysis (small) and PE Calanus
LRS Reef Frenzy and LRS Reef Frenzy Herbivore
(I mix with Brightwell Aminos, Garlic and Selcon)

NLS Marine Fish (small), NLS Algae Max (small and wafer)
TLF SeaVeggies Green and Red
Nyos Wild Goji, Sweet Aloe and True Algae

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own, but also use others for variety. my own is: clams, mussels, oyster, shrimp, scallop. I make a slurry then freeze. I also offer pellets, and occasionally I will toss in a flake. Nori is a couple 2/3 times a week. unfortunately, I love my fish too much, because I tend to over feed. fish look good. fat, color is good, and active. I do put in copepods probably once a month, just as added bonus to my tanks. No algae to forage, I have 3 tangs, and 16 other fish

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hikari Brine Shrimp

What fish eat the Nyos goji? I have a full bottle and nobody wants to touch the stuff.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish eat the Nyos goji? I have a full bottle and nobody wants to touch the stuff.
All of them (I mix all of my pellets together, though). I have two autofeeders and when they start the fish basically launch into "relay mode" darting around the tank.

It's a rare day when a pellet hits the sand bed...

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hikari Brine Shrimp

Calanus is a good one especially with anthias

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll admit I sometimes slack on fish feeding with variety, but sometimes I go all out with fresh prep! for the past two years+ I've been using the nyos goji pellets daily, on top of any other frozen foods or nori, but some days it's goji pellets only all my fish love them, and the fish colors look great and all of them are plump and aggression is low, I think the pellets are part of that success. they sure are easy for me to feed so I appreciate that and they seem to be a quality pellet for a decent price.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I make my own, but also use others for variety. my own is: clams, mussels, oyster, shrimp, scallop. I make a slurry then freeze. I also offer pellets, and occasionally I will toss in a flake. Nori is a couple 2/3 times a week. unfortunately, I love my fish too much, because I tend to over feed. fish look good. fat, color is good, and active. I do put in copepods probably once a month, just as added bonus to my tanks. No algae to forage, I have 3 tangs, and 16 other fish
I made my own a few months ago, and they did not seem thrilled but its me- not the fish. I will give it a go again and add different ingredients other than just shrimp - clam-scallops and fish eggs

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I have to give the Goji berries another shot. I was going to give them away.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'll admit I sometimes slack on fish feeding with variety, but sometimes I go all out with fresh prep! for the past two years+ I've been using the nyos goji pellets daily, on top of any other frozen foods or nori, but some days it's goji pellets only all my fish love them, and the fish colors look great and all of them are plump and aggression is low, I think the pellets are part of that success. they sure are easy for me to feed so I appreciate that and they seem to be a quality pellet for a decent price.
Second time I have seen this word GOJI and I will have to look into this- Never heard of it before
Just looked- goji berries by Nyos. . . . hmmmm

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I guess I have to give the Goji berries another shot. I was going to give them away.
I'll buy them if you get rid of them

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hikari Brine Shrimp

When you say brightwell aminos, is the thr coral amino product? I've been considering adding it to my fish food.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When you say brightwell aminos, is the thr coral amino product? I've been considering adding it to my fish food.
I use this which is excellent

1691675777286.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calanus is a good one especially with anthias
The irony is that some of the bigger fish like calanus and the smaller fish like the big chunks of LRS! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

If I can be honest, my fish are absolute pigs and will quite literally eat anything that's offered up to them.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own a few months ago, and they did not seem thrilled but its me- not the fish. I will give it a go again and add different ingredients other than just shrimp - clam-scallops and fish eggs
I forgot to add to the list, that I will also add some selcon, and mysis, which I buy the freeze dried. I did notice that my nutrients went down, feeding that. I ended up going back to frozen on a temporary, because our local deli now sells fresh seafood, in packages, not individual. So I am going to have to find another store.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed NLS marine fish
LRS Nori
Hikari bio pure frozen: mega marine, mega marine angel, sprirulina brine

working with freeze dried krill to try and hand feed some of my larger fish ( max 3" at this time)

i did add a pods to my tank once.

there is also a fish market across the street from one of our store locations that periodically gives me salmon tails- i toss those in a blender with a pack of nori and freeze into a ice cube tray for occasional treats too

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How do you prepare calinus? I've been using selco and some sort of oily vitamin supplement from brightwell in a vacuum pump go hydrate it.
This is the calanus I use. It clumps when wet

1691711846677.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back