What controller is right for me

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all. I'm out of my realm when controller topic comes up.
What I need is a controller that monitors ph and turns on and off a solenoid to control skimmer intake air.
Added bonus would be maybe Control heater.

Just need something basic and hassle free.

Thanks for the help!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Title says it all. I'm out of my realm when controller topic comes up.
What I need is a controller that monitors ph and turns on and off a solenoid to control skimmer intake air.
Added bonus would be maybe Control heater.

Just need something basic and hassle free.

Thanks for the help!
Not sure why you are turning off the skimmer air, but an RKL will do this and the heater if you get the basic and add a SLX module and pH probe. There is a RKL that comes with the SLX and a pH probe but it comes with 2 PB4's and is a little more expensive. The SL2v2 module will work in place of the SLX if you think you will want to add a salinity probe in the future. It is about $10 cheaper than the SLX module. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefkeeper-lite-basic-digital-aquatics.html

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you are turning off the skimmer air, but an RKL will do this and the heater if you get the basic and add a SLX module and pH probe. There is a RKL that comes with the SLX and a pH probe but it comes with 2 PB4's and is a little more expensive. The SL2v2 module will work in place of the SLX if you think you will want to add a salinity probe in the future. It is about $10 cheaper than the SLX module. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefkeeper-lite-basic-digital-aquatics.html
I also agree with this !

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys I'll clear it up a bit more. It will control co2 scrubber port
Are you switching between the scrubber and no scrubber? The Basic RKL has 4 controllable AC outlets. I assume that is enough to do the soleniod and the heater with 2 outlets left.

OP
OP
3mm3

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you switching between the scrubber and no scrubber? The Basic RKL has 4 controllable AC outlets. I assume that is enough to do the soleniod and the heater with 2 outlets left.

Exactly what I'm looking to do. Want to keep 8.2 to 8.3 24 7

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing you want to switch to the scrubber if it drops below 8.2 and turn it off before it gets to 8.3. That sounds like it can be done. I have the Archon wich has similar functions. I will try and see what I can come up with. I will have to use a lower pH on my system to see if it turns on and off correctly. I will set it up and graph the output and see what happens. Since I don't actually have anything to control it will just turn the output on and off.

OP
OP
3mm3

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing you want to switch to the scrubber if it drops below 8.2 and turn it off before it gets to 8.3. That sounds like it can be done. I have the Archon wich has similar functions. I will try and see what I can come up with. I will have to use a lower pH on my system to see if it turns on and off correctly. I will set it up and graph the output and see what happens. Since I don't actually have anything to control it will just turn the output on and off.

Sweet thank you!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the output setup. It may take a few day to get enough data on the graph. Below is the screenshot. The RKL does not have this web interface but the controller function is close to the Archon. Right now my pH is a little above 8 so it should drop below that at night. If for some reason it dosen't I will raise the setpoint up so it does.

IMG_1890.PNG

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There ae some good deals for Classic APEX controllers on the forum. Hard to go wrong with a APEX!

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I don't have a lot of data yet. My pH swing is not very much right at the moment. Below is the pH graph. Both outputs below have a pH set point of 8.0. I will let them run a few days and post the graphs again.

pH CO2 Scrubber.jpg

Below is the output with a .1 hysteresis setting.

CO2 Scrubber output1.jpg

Below is the output without any hysteresis setting.

CO2 Scrubber Output2.jpg

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the archon easy to use and setup?
It is easy for me, but I started with the RKE. It is web based and uses function instead of coding to setup your outputs. I have a build thread that gives more detail on using it. The hardest part is setting up your router to gain access from the internet.

OP
OP
3mm3

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is easy for me, but I started with the RKE. It is web based and uses function instead of coding to setup your outputs. I have a build thread that gives more detail on using it. The hardest part is setting up your router to gain access from the internet.

Thank you ill check out your build thread

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as I'm about to pull the trigger the RKL(plus)
You can upgrade to the Archon from the RKL by just getting the head unit with the power pack when you outgrow the RKL. There are a couple of modules that are not compatible, but those are not needed with the Archon. The Archon already has built in wifi and networking so no need for the NET module and it uses you tablet, computer or smart phone as it's display and keypad so no need for the RD1. The functions are similar between the Archon and RKL.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Archon much better and for what you want rkl plus or rke best bet for price , no "fussion" to puts with and not work
But for some of the deals on the forum you could get some nice controllers. I haven't ever had any issues with Fusion. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones?:D Any of the systems will support what you may want to do, you just have to figure out which one meets everything you want to do now and in the future.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back