What coral food do you use?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to plan the corals to add to my tank. Will be mainly softies and lps. Maybe in a year I'll add a sps or 2. I'm wondering if I should get a product like reef rods or reef chili? Or go with frozen coral food from Rods or LRS? I already decided nothing but frozen or fresh for my fish. Is that the best philosophy for corals?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids mix in with 21 herbs and spices, locust,cricket,mysis, Arctic pods, all are flour consistency. Add to round fish feeder, programed from one of 4 dosing pump programmable system. Feeds every 1 hour.

20190427_141052.jpg

20190406_094057.jpg

robocop1906

Erick McLemore
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hard for me to tell which were the best so over time I found that I had collected them all. I just decided to then just mix a little of them all together and target feed 3 times a week. Reef-Roids, Reef Chilli, Coral Frenzy, Benereef; Liquid Zoe Plankton, Marine PhytoPlex.

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids and chili are both just dehydrated versions of the real thing i.e frozen food. Those manufactured products, are they sterile like a flake or pellet would be? Rather feed the real thing instead of processed. My LFS carries live phyto and frozen so shipping isn't an issue.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Starting to plan the corals to add to my tank. Will be mainly softies and lps. Maybe in a year I'll add a sps or 2. I'm wondering if I should get a product like reef rods or reef chili? Or go with frozen coral food from Rods or LRS? I already decided nothing but frozen or fresh for my fish. Is that the best philosophy for corals?
Lot's of people like Reef Chili, It created some issues for me, I switched to Reef Roids and had good feeding responses with no effects to water chemistry. I bounced back between LRS and Rods food, What I noticed is LRS reef frenzy seems to have more larger chunks and lot's of smaller pieces, corals and fish love this stuff. I switched to Rods food because it as fewer large pieces, more ground up but still some nice chunks from my experience. I have mostly corals, fewer fish so the Rods food worked better for me. Both Rods and LRS are great foods.

It's important to change diets and feed daily but be mindful of nutrient overload.

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot's of people like Reef Chili, It created some issues for me, I switched to Reef Roids and had good feeding responses with no effects to water chemistry. I bounced back between LRS and Rods food, What I noticed is LRS reef frenzy seems to have more larger chunks and lot's of smaller pieces, corals and fish love this stuff. I switched to Rods food because it as fewer large pieces, more ground up but still some nice chunks from my experience. I have mostly corals, fewer fish so the Rods food worked better for me. Both Rods and LRS are great foods.

It's important to change diets and feed daily but be mindful of nutrient overload.
That's what I was looking to hear. Maybe I'll do rods twice a week and roids weekly. Already using rods fish only for my clowns and they love it.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's what I was looking to hear. Maybe I'll do rods twice a week and roids weekly. Already using rods fish only for my clowns and they love it.
Lil tip I got and mostly improved my zoas that have been thriving ever since. When you thaw the Rods, pour Reef fuel by SeaChem with some tank water (1 part fuel/ 4 parts TW). Loads of good stuff in the fuel and the rods will soak it in(be mindful of ingredients if you're already dosing other nutrient supplements). There's no doubt the zoas in particular love the iodine trace's it provides, but all corals benefit. For my reef roids, I add ReefNutrition Arcti pods and a few drops of Selcom. Start slow, monitor your nitrate and PH, increase to the max as time permits.

Regarding the amount of fuel I use, I have a 90 overstocked reef (is there such a thing). Dosage calls for about 5 caps twice a week but I use sparingly. I mix in 1 cap to thaw Rods and add 1 cap to Display (2 caps total). I do that twice a week for what I like to call, the fat days.

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is still new. Only the hammer coral and a couple clowns. Broadcast feeding a small amount for the clowns and giving a little to the coral direct once or twice a week. Not sure if the fish only blend does anything or not but the coral seems happy

OP
OP
Jekyl

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing as LRS. Real various marine life and veggies put in a blender and frozen

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use LRS Reef Frenzy as I have a couple fish also. Every couple of weeks I turn off the return At night & feed fresh fish roe I have steady supply very tiny eggs. Blows the skimmer away but the corals look really good the next day . I have mostly LPS & 2 SPS.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back