What coral glue do you use?

Emma.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
What kind of coral glue do you use and are you able to use it underwater before it cures? I was recommended the Seachem Reef Glue but I wanted to know if there were other products or is that glue the way to go? I also heard of people using the gorilla glue but can I glue the frags completely underwater? Any tips are greatly appreciated. I’m totally new to this so I’m trying to get all the help I can!
thanks in advance. :)

moorjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- you can use the super glue underwater before it cures. As soon as you put it in the water- it'll turn white- but still be a little jelly like. You'll need to hold whatever you are gluing in place for a few seconds while it hardens- then you're set. I usually will apply the glue out of water first- then quickly put it where I want it and hold it there for about 30 seconds. Just know- super glue isn't the strongest- you can remove the frags pretty easily and can get bumped

Upvote 0

shartpants007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that you can use any cyanoacrylate based glue, so pretty much any brand of 'superglue.' You can try out different brands to see which brand works best for you in terms of adhesion, viscosity, and drying time. I've had various levels of success with different types of glue, but I tend to briefly remove the coral from the tank, put glue on the plug where I want it, and then quickly try to place the frag in the right spot, making sure nothing gets on the coral itself.

Upvote 0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the BSI super glue gel and the polyp lab glue. Polyp lab is nicer but it costs more. any cyano acrylate glue will work. I used to think that there was no difference, but I tried the polyp lab glue and I really like it.

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem glue, it’s nice and thick and not too expensive, I’ve tried regular super glue, hated it, far too thin, going everywhere, literally rolls of the frag plug.

Upvote 0

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the bulk reef supply extra thick gel super glue and epoxy. I make a superglue, epoxy, superglue sandwich and it works pretty well most of the time.

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back