My first saltwater tank- bio32

moorjames

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 15, 2020
Messages
199
Reaction score
190
Location
Grand Rapids, MI
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple weeks ago I decided that talking for 15 years about getting a saltwater tank was enough and I just needed to start somewhere. I knew nothing about the hobby other than the water has some elements I’ll need to monitor. After a trip to my LFS I came home with the Biocube 32 with an overpriced stand. Put it all together and the next day I added some
Filters (none of which I knew anything about), some water and live rock. The next day I added some power heads and some bacteria.
Well a couple hundred dollars of stuff I didn’t need and here I am. I’m about 3 weeks in and almost done with the nitrogen cycle. Still takes about 2 days to eat up the ammonia so hopefully will be done in a couple days. Can’t wait to add fish- or even turn the light on lol
94AC626C-360D-48A7-B7D3-DE671A9724ED.jpeg
36286A0B-72B9-447F-9064-8036EBAEB41E.jpeg
02492D80-C947-4ECF-95A8-E7BC126C48A1.jpeg
7C443F63-FC17-463A-B65A-E7E50B59E806.jpeg
 
Nice setup. Careful with that digital thermometer... they are notoriously inaccurate.
 
Nice set up, I love the way you placed the rocks.
Good luck and welcome to addiction...
 
Oh snap- didn’t know that. Anything in particular you would recommend?

I have a good old-fashioned glass thermometer which I purchased from a laboratory supply site.

But I also use a temperature controller, where the heater and a fan for cooling are connected.

This is a picture of my DIY controller. A temperature sensor connected to the controller drops into the sump (or tank). It is wired into 110vac outlet. one side is the heater and the other, the 12v power adapter for a cooling fan.

1609387144244.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new